60 day hold when transferring domain

HawaiiVA

I recently decided to transfer my domain to godaddy since I am doing this massive re-design. The original domain and hosting plan were purchased from a company claiming to be a web design school offering free services for portfolio work. Long story short - it was pretty much a scam.

I put in to transfer my domain name and the scam company has it locked for 60 days. Is a 60 day hold a typical practice?

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Go Daddy does the same thing, but it's only done when there have been recent changes or updates to your account information or if your account is less than X days old. I can't recall what the exact 'rules' are but it's legal to a point. I think there is more information on it at the ICANN website. Here's a Google search on the topic.

AwesomeAssistant

It's one reason we have moved away from GoDaddy. There's no need for it. We now use DomainSite and are very happy. They allow you to use Gmail for your business at no extra charge. So all our emails can be from our domain names.

HawaiiVA

It's one reason we have moved away from GoDaddy. There's no need for it. We now use DomainSite and are very happy. They allow you to use Gmail for your business at no extra charge. So all our emails can be from our domain names.
Thanks Sue! I like the idea of being able to use Gmail at no extra charge.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a decent hosting account and own your own domain name then you should be able to have email from your own domain anyway.
I would recommend checking out www.ace-host.net - just my personal recommendation.
They're great and don't charge for things like email and autoreplies, forwards, and databases, that other hosting providers will charge you extra for.

HawaiiVA

Thank you for the recommendation. I currently can review my domain e-mail but I don't like the system it is set up on.