A Subcontractor Who Invests

hbplifestyle

Recently I've been researching what service providers are looking for in a subcontractor. Curious to hear whether multi-VA firms are looking for a sub just to complete a task or invest themselves into a company.

Prior to doing the research I looked at subcontracting as clearing another's desk of small tasks. Putting the word "Vested" in front of subcontracting gives it a whole new meaning for both parties.

What are the thoughts of the multi-VA's of this group?

Last edited:

debw241

I would be interested in reading responses re this as well. As subcontractor of course would take tasks -- but would much prefer to have long on-going business relationship where I feel I am an integral part of the business.

ftrammell

I like the idea of a subcontracter. Is this the same as having other virtual assisitants under you as well?

debw241

Yes ftrammell -- there are many offices who are multi-VA offices. Stay on here and keep learning and asking questions. You can also search if there is a certain area that interests you.

At this moment we do use sub contractors just for short term work. The initial plan of our business was to have sub contractors actually be a part of the business, unfortunately we have had a very hard time of finding reliable and affordable VAs in our growth stages. We have been had some VAs that we subcontracted work to- only to find out that they never did the work- and then never replied to emails afterwards. This makes it hard on the company because then we are stuck having to change passwords and inform a client on why we are changing their passwords. From this past lesson, we now make sure when we hire a subcontractor- that we give them trial projects for our stuff with only our passwords at risk. Once we know they are going to work out- then we move them to a client's job.

Depending on business needs both can be beneficial. Partnering with another VA requires a long term plan that suits both parties and mutual trust. I suppose the short term sub contracting work could be a way to start this relationship.