Any Google Apps Users?

JoLeicester

I have a very "busy" computer and despite having a decent filing system do occasionally lose things. I'm in the process of stating up my VA business and am considering using Google apps for business so I can keep everything relating to each client in its own separate area stored in the cloud.

I'm also wondering about collaborating with clients using Google apps - do any of you do this? if so how does it work for you?

Thanks
Joanne

vrsi-office

I do use Google Apps, but for cloud storage and document exchange with clients I prefer Dropbox. Easy for clients to access, they have free and paid versions, and I can access from my computer via Windows Explorer or via the web.

Julie

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
I too use Google Apps but not for keeping everything in the cloud. I use it to keep everything accessible over all my devices. I too use Dropbox for files storage and Asana for project management.

I do have one client who prefers to share via Google Docs but he is the only one.

Virtual Lefty

Also, similar to Lee, I use Google Apps to keep everything accessible over all my devices. However, how I use Google Apps has really changed over the past few months as I found what works for me. My advice: start small and build on what works for you.

With some of my work, I use the same document multiple times per week or every day. Having these daily docs in a cloud has really helped clear up my desktop. Google Apps work well with Asana too, which is a great project management system Lee mentioned.

When collaborating with clients, it's really nice to have a "living" document. I am also a writing consultant and I love that clients and I can work simultaneously. It's been intensely rewarding to have clients "peek" into my thought process as we make revisions together - LIVE - via Google Docs.

My biggest most unexpected gain... I use Google Docs with my smartphone for *free dictation. Blog posts, website copy, video content, and creative writings have come from arriving early to appointments and talking into my phone for a few minutes. I've come to rely on dictation with Google Docs so much that I actually have an hour per week (20 min for 3 days) set aside for the task.

P.S. As a Mac person with an Android phone, I grudging switched to Google Calendar to bypass a few sync issues. Haven't looked back... so glad I switched!

Inglenook

We use Google Apps for our e-zine and our acquisitions board loves it for discussing submissions. As well, it is fantastic for working with the authors in revisions and/or mentoring. Once everything is completed, everything is available for the layout department to download and put into the final spread. Our work would be more time-consuming if we did not use it.

JoLeicester

Thanks for the insights. I believe I will give apps a try. I like how you can collaborate, that the package links to Asana and, importantly for me, that you can dictate (I do this a lot) :)

regards
Joanne

babybee

wow.. i have never looked at google apps before. i know that microsoft obviously have their own cloud base system now, doesn anyone know if the ms office one is a versatile as google apps seems to be?

Great info! Thanks so much for sharing.

I just loaded the Google Drive on my iphone and tried out the dictation feature. It is awesome. Thank You Steph for sharing that tidbit!

JoLeicester

I'm a bit confused about something with Google apps. At the moment I am a company of one (me!) so would only need to sign up as one user with Google apps. Can I collaborate with clients on a given project (I like the idea of being able to work simultaneously) without them being Google apps paid users?

regards
Joanne

Virtual Lefty

Joanne, I've been using Google Apps since 2008 so everything is free for me. After a little research, I found out the free version hasn't been offered since the end of 2012. It's now $5/month or $50/year for the basic Google Apps for Business, which I think is still very reasonable. And I believe it's reasonable to expect clients to pay for this business expense if they don't already have it. The ROI is great!