Are there Subcontractors who only want to sub?

I know there are new VAs who want to subcontract to get experience but are there any VAs who only want to subcontract and have no desire to get their own clients?

Thanks, Mimi

lcmillsinc

I know there are VA's out there that only subcontract. I was tempted to go that route myself but I felt I'd be cheating myself out of certain opportunities.
I understand the benefit of only subcontracting though: not having to explain yourself and your the industry, easier marketing and not as much of it, and you get to work with friends/colleagues. We're helping each other. :grouphug:

But on the flip side....you're not going to make as much money. I don't charge VA's I subcontract for full price. But if you do enough subcontracting to make up the difference, who cares??!!! :happydance:

hbplifestyle

Wonderful question. Not sure about anyone else but yes that's the exact reason I started Savvy Subcontracting only to subcontract. Getting clients can be a headach and an area I just don't want to go to.

I encourage newbies to get experience by subcontracting and learning from the VA. Because I've ran into so many brilliant VAs I prefer only to subcontract.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
I don't subcontract but there's an older thread on the board I remembered and thought you might find interesting/useful - check it out here. Hope it helps a bit! :)

I have my own clients, and I sub-contract for other VAs. I love subcontracting because I get to meet so many top notch pros in our industry, not to mention the knowledge we share back and forth. I value, respect, and treat my subcontracting clients exactly as I do my own clients. just my .02. :rolleyes:

Caroline,

Loved your website. Very professional and neat. Just sneaked up on your blog and bookmarked to read the posts. I an glad to come across your blog. :happydance:

debw241

wow... perhaps I think OUTside of the box too much -- my attitude is it is YOUR business and you do as you choose with it (and hopefully you will be able to build your client base doing what you want to do - offering the services YOU want to offer). I happen to put a special emphasis on subcontracting -- the person/business I subcontract with/from however in my opinion IS MY CLIENT, and of course treated as such.

lcmillsinc

Caroline,

Loved your website. Very professional and neat. Just sneaked up on your blog and bookmarked to read the posts. I an glad to come across your blog. :happydance:
I'm pleasantly surprised that you like my blog. :blush2: It's a work in progress but I'll try to post at least once a week. That's my goal anyway. Thanks for the encouragement. Now that I know someone's reading it ....maybe it'll put a fire under me to post more. LOL!!!

anjwilli

I mix my business. I have clients of my own and I subcontract. Currently, I am running at about 50-50. I like sourcing clients of that best fit my work style but I also like helping other VA's partner with their clients. As I grow, I will probably move toward more of my own clients but I will probably still provide some white-label services.

mwinall

I'm brand new at this venture Ladies but I feel like it's my business and if I tailor it to me then hopefully I'll get out of it what I need and will provide a very good service to others who need it. I think both sides of this issue has very valid points. I wouldn't hesitate to partner with someone who knows the ropes and if I can offer something worth while to that person and they in turn to me, then it's a win-win.

Caroline...I also want to say that I love your website and your blog and will be reading along with Jessie! I haven't gotten that far yet but am working every day to finish website and head in the direction of garnering clients and being productive. There's a lot of inspiration here for all.

lcmillsinc

Thanks Mwinall! It takes time...it really does. But it'll be worth it. This is an awesome community and I'm glad to be a part of it. :grouphug:

marie1971

I actually welcome the idea of subcontracting. For example, a certain VA have too much to handle and instead of declining a client, he/she can outsource the job and still earn from it...

Williams

I would like to subcontract to other VA's otuside of my local area...currently, I work my va business locally. I truly enjoy the one-on-one relationship. However, helping another VA service would be a great opportunity. Is replying to RFP's the only way to get noticed here on this forum?

Kim Harris

Yes, there are VA's that only want to sub. I'm one of them! I'd rather help others than develop my own company.

~Kim~

I'm just starting out exploring this virtual assistant business. I have to work from home for reasons beyond my controll. I would rather work as a subcontrator, that means I don't have to keep pushing to find clients, they will be given to me. So, YES..I would subcontract.

hbplifestyle

As I always say as a subcontractor other virtual businesses are your clients. You still have to find the clients and sell yourself. Subbing isn't an easy job because you have to stick out from all the others in some way. The biggest reason I LOVE subcontracting is because there are some brilliant VAs out there that just need a little or alot of help.