bookkeeping

kkemner

I would like to offer bookkeeping as a service but don't have any formal training. Is there a course or other resources that anyone could recommend to help me get a good grasp on the basics?

Thanks!

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Just curious, if you have no training why are you offering the service? Are you thinking billing and invoicing or full blown bookkeeping?

The reason I ask is because as a bookkeeper you need to keep up on all the law changes from year to year. You also need to know the terms and standard practices so that they jive with that of the accountant.

One last thing, be sure to get E&O insurance because you could be liable for mistakes in the books of your client(s).

kkemner

Just curious, if you have no training why are you offering the service? Are you thinking billing and invoicing or full blown bookkeeping?

The reason I ask is because as a bookkeeper you need to keep up on all the law changes from year to year. You also need to know the terms and standard practices so that they jive with that of the accountant.

One last thing, be sure to get E&O insurance because you could be liable for mistakes in the books of your client(s).
I've always been interested in learning the whole process. I took a class way back in high school and loved it. If there is anything I've discovered on this journey to becoming a VA is that you have to be open to new things and be willing to learn :) I'm not offering this as a service when I first start out, but it will be something that I add to my list of services in the future.