Building a website, a learning experience

VA Karen

My son and I did the homepage to my website this past Saturday, ok more me with his help. I first drew what I want my homepage to look like, then we went in and did it. At first, I was really confused, but after some guidance I really got into it. After working on it several hours, we took a break because I was satisfied at that moment with the look of my homepage.

Yesterday I decided to print off the website tutorials and read them, then went back and tweaked my homepage. Last night, I had ideas flying at me left and right how I wanted to do my other pages. I'm now so happy my son refused to do my website, and for me to learn it myself. I'm learning so much that I wouldn't have if someone else had done it for me.

Results: Building a website isn't so bad after all. You "can teach an old dog a new trick", but only if they are willing and determined to learn...I am.

trandall

Congratulations Karen! I can't wait to see it.

That is exactly how I had to learn and I really enjoy it now and it has become a big part of my business.

Best of luck to you!

ayesha

Karen, you had better ways to learn the designing process. You know how I did my learning process, about 8 years back, I read blogs, resources, videos and then took those to Photoshop and Dreamweaver. But now, I can say I am close to an expert.

Sadly, my son is not grown up to teach me such stuffs... :( :)

bjstucki

I cannot tell you enough how reassuring it is to hear from so many on how to get things going. Thanks for the encouragement.

VA Karen

What I like best on this site, it gives me the option to look at it in a smaller screen (like a phone, ipad, etc) that way I know how my PCs may see it.

Terri, thank you. I can't wait for you and everyone to see it too. I know I'm going to need some advice from all you pros.

Amy, it's not the word press site. It's weebly, something my son recommended. I decided to do this one for now, and when I'm able to afford it I will do word press because I'm really impressed with their paid themes.

Ayesha, I did read blogs and all that stuff, but my mind just wasn't understanding. I didn't really start to understand until I started doing it myself.

BJ, you are so welcome. Here on this forum, we are all family. We help each other in any way we can, whether you're just starting out or been in the business for awhile.

drivenresultsvp

It's great Karen that you got the opportunity to learn how to do your website yourself. Otherwise, if you didn't do it you would have never learned! The best way to learn is by doing it yourself because you gain new insight and information you didn't know before.

JHodgsonVA

Congratulations, Karen! It's so satisfying to do these things on your own :) I love when I learn new things and put them to good use!