Question Business Name Help, Please

VA Karen

I've been struggling with my business name. I finally narrowed it down to three names, but I still don't know which one I like the best. Could you please help me to choose so I'll know which direction to take my business?

The three names are: "Wilkinson Virtual Services" or "Wilkinson VA Services" or "Wilkinson Online Services".

The problem I keep coming across with "Wilkinson Online Services" is where it may explain in simple terms that it's an online business for those who may not be familiar with "virtual", I can't figure out how to explain on the website what a VA is. Where with the other two, I could.

The services I'll be providing is mostly medical because that's my background (although I prefer not to add transcription because it's not something I really enjoy, but do know how to do).

Any and all help will be much appreciate.

Thank you.

Last edited:

lisa4jvs

Hi Karen,

You could explain your being virtual in your website's content on almost any page. There could be a blurb on the Home page, more detail in about us, and another blurb in services. I've also seen VA sites with a page dedicated to explaining what a VA is and does.

When contacted by someone new to working virtually, I have an information packet that includes a sheet that tells what a VA does, who can use a VA, how to work effectively with a VA, etc. and sometimes repurpose the information to use in emails from potential clients.

I hope I've helped some.

Much success!

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hi Karen,

There is much discussion on this board about using the word 'virtual' in the title. Most VAs use the term to differentiate between an onsite service or virtual. It is also a very popular search keyword.

I would use the virtual term.

You can say Wilkinson Virtual Office Services, Wilkinson Virtual Administrative Services but
I wouldn't suggest the VA because it can mean Veterans Administration to some.

What needs to be stressed is how you market your business and how well your site is keyworded to come up in the searches as a virtual assistance service. Google will bring your site up in the searches if it well keyworded, well marketed by others and linked to other high quality searchables.

Lisa makes a good point about making your 'About Us' page very clear on what you do.

Another thought about the name is to think about where it will take you if you want to expand or add on services. Using your own name might also mean that you will be the brand as opposed to the company or the product being branded. This may mean more of 'you' on the site...videos, log and header featuring yourself as Wilkinson. Some businesses owners market their company only and not themselves.

Janine

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
And in addition to VA meaning Veterans Administration to some (as Janine mentioned), it is also the abbreviation for Virginia! Between VA and virtual, I would definitely choose "virtual."

VA Karen

Thank you ladies so much you have been very helpful. The first name I had chosen had "medical" in the name, then I began thinking that as my business grew it would probably be easier to add services and less expensive, then change my name. Which was the reason I was struggling with the names, when I would think of one I'd write it down, then my son thought of several and I wrote them down, eventually I had more names then I knew what to do with. Lol.

My mother pointed out to me today about VA standing for Veterans Administration and I forgot about it also standing for Virginia, thank you for the reminder.

With the name sorted out now, I can continue with the wording for my website. I have so many ideas but couldn't go forward in that until I was sure about the name.

Thank you all again so much. :)

VA Karen

I had to change my name again, doing a Google research, it made me realize I couldn't use the name "Wilkinson Virtual Services". So, thanks to my youngest child, I've updated it to "KEJ Virtual Services."

I still appreciate all the advice I have been given by all three of these ladies. I also now have my niche sorted out too. Things are getting done.

Last edited: