Business Termination

ashdred

My VA business was more successful that I was expecting and has completely overwhelmed me -- I also work a full-time job. And, I'm up for advancement at my full-time. What steps have you taken to do so? I known there are people on here who have shut down before. Notice to past clients?? A month long site notice? Does it sound bad to say, "I Quit"? Lol.

bwooding

Hi Ashdred,

Yes, you definitely should give your clients notice - and as much as possible. They will need time to make alternative arrangements. I would speak to each one, personally, about your opportunity for advancement and your regrets about leaving them and then follow up your conversation with a more formal letter, outlining how you plan to finish any outstanding work, final payments, etc.

You also might want to partner with another VA (or three) whose skills and competence you are familiar with, to try and transition your clients as seamlessly as possible. A recommendation from you will provide your clients with a nice level of comfort. Also, searching for a VA can be an arduous and time-consuming task. Your clients will appreciate anything you can do to make this process easier.

I wish you every success in your new endeavour.

kmohan

Oh my goodness, congrats! I hope to be there at some point. Curiosity question - how long did it take you from when you launched to be able to get to this point?

My plan, if I ever get there, is to offer to stay long enough for them to hire someone (within a reasonable time frame), train them, and then peace out. I can't imagine that taking longer than a month.

But again, I've never done it, so best of luck to you!!

I think that you should give them at least a month's notice and offer to help them find a new VA. It would probably be a great help if you could be available to help transition the work over to a new person, as well as providing any documents that might be helpful. I know that might seem like you are giving away your work product, but in case you decide to start up your business again in the future, at least you will have great references from your clients.

Mouthy

When my web design company was acquired in 2012 by a larger firm, I gave my clients (new and past) about 2 months' notice because they also paid me every month for website hosting and the new company was also taking that part of my business over.

I agree with everyone else here, on finding a new VA and introducing that person to each client (or at the very least, recommending a couple you know of who the client can choose from). Because up til now, your clients have likely relied upon you comfortably, and just up and quitting is like tearing off a Band-Aid. Sure, the pain will be over quickly for you, but then they're going to realize they need you or someone as close to you as possible, and like the above comment mentions, you don't want to get bad reviews - even if you are no longer a VA after that point, anything negative will still be tied to your name, and that is not fun for anyone. Just my 2¢.

GenuineSunshine

There was a great comment on this post yesterday?? But maybe I am losing it. It was very well put, so forgive me to summarizing:

1) Call your clients and let them know you will be closing your business. You don't want them to feel like you're abandoning because it makes them less likely to trust/hire a VA in the future.

2) Offer to provide a referral to someone in the industry that you know personally, who can provide the services your client is looking for.

3) Follow up with a written notice that you're closing your business/terminating the contract with the client. Make sure to cover what final work/files will be handed over, how final payment will be handled and thank them for their business.

My suggestion is to not burn bridges with these clients because you never know what life may bring. You always want a safety net if the "worst case scenario" happens and you have to return to this line of work.

Ashdred, I wish you the best of luck and congratulations on starting a new chapter in your life!!

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Good to see the success but sad to see you are leaving the industry. I agree with Genuine, just let the clients know you are shutting down and offer to help them find someone else.

Be honest and things will go well.