CardScan or Neat Receipt/Biz Card Scanner

AngelaM

I'm looking to purchase one of these two choices. Do you have any advice/recommendations/reviews if you own and use them? The machine will get heavy use and needs to sync with Outlook.

Neat Receipts and/or Neat Receipts Business Card Scanner
CardScan Business Card Scanner

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Angela,

Thanks for posting this. I'm also interested in the responses to this thread. I've been contemplating a CardScan or Neat Receipt/Biz Card Scanner for awhile now.

Thanks Again :heart:

AngelaM

I recently borrowed a CardScan from a friend and that thing is VERY cool. It is so easy to scan. It includes an image (front and back) of the card, and is pretty accurate with how it fills in the different fields. I did have to some clean up with each car, but it didn't take long. I figure I scan and clean up about 100 cards in an hour. Then the whole thing syncs with my Outlook and VIOLA! A very full contact database. Ahhhhhh...

Now I have to figure out how to include them into other contact management software programs (iContact, Palm, and others...).

Still haven't tried the NeatReceipts yet...

KathyCrofoot.com

I use a NeatReceipts scanner for all of my clients. All those Walmart and HomeDepot receipts that print on thermal paper will eventually fade. I scanned a 3" stack of business cards for my husband in about 2 hrs, correcting as I went. I downloaded the database to an excel file and he uploaded it to his contact manager at the office.

I use it more than I do my flatbed scanner, and it is just as fast, if not faster. It was well worth the investment in my view.

AngelaM

Kathy:
Thank you for that excellent feedback. :applause:

I've read good and bad feedback from so many people and just can't quite figure out which one to go with. A friend lent me her CardScan it was great. The Neat Receipts (all in one) is very expensive, so I'm trying to decide if I need the scanner for more than just business cards.

Again, thanks for responding...

JoCarole

I'm definitely in the market for a card scanner. I have to do some research but haven't had the time. As soon as I get a chance to do it, I will post my findings. :)

Jo-Carole

KathyCrofoot.com

Kathy:
The Neat Receipts (all in one) is very expensive, so I'm trying to decide if I need the scanner for more than just business cards.
I tend to stay away from single-application products if at all possible. The NeatReceipts cost about $150, and came with the software to run the database, plus free upgrades. I liked the fact that it was more than a one-use application. It allows me to expand my service offerings to include making a database out of business cards, as well as a database from all the receipts and documents that are scanned.

Watch the sales, with Tax time coming up, they may go on sale at some point.

Bernice

I have used both CardScan and Neat Receipts: I prefer Neat Receipts and I noticed the price just came down at our local Costco. I export to Excel or import cards to Outlook and I see that you can also export to Quicken or QuickBooks although I have never done this.

I'm glad to read that Neat Receipts is a program that is liked! I purchased it a short time ago, but haven't yet used it. Maybe I should start testing it out.

elitevacs

Can anyone tell me where to find the Neat Receipts/Neat Receipts Business Card Scanner? I have never heard of them, but they sound like good equipment to have on hand.

amdulaney

I have used both CardScan and Neat Receipts: I prefer Neat Receipts and I noticed the price just came down at our local Costco. I export to Excel or import cards to Outlook and I see that you can also export to Quicken or QuickBooks although I have never done this.
Once you have downloaded the cards on Outlook, you can link you QB with your contact list. I have done it at my old job. Off hand - check the toolbar at top of QB to see where it is or you can go to the Help menu. Hope that helps.

Andrea Dulaney

AngelaM

Thanks for the Costco tip! This is excellent. I haven't gotten a scanner yet b/c that $200 price tag was too high. Now, if I can save $50 at Costco - hooray!

Robin

Neat Receipt is available at Sam's Club right now for $148. This is a wonderful price since most retailers have it at $199! Staples for some reason wouldn't price match Sam's price, so I drove to Sam's an picked up one. Can't wait to start using it! I'm told it saves pages in digital format for which takes up less space. I can't wait to get started on getting rid of my PAPER storage. I would like to have picked up the Neat Desk, but for the cost difference, I'll start small. :)

The only experience I have with a card scanner was not good. By the time I cleaned up the scan, I could have typed it in myself and still gotten 100 done per hour. However, the "Neat Receipt/Biz Card Scanner" sounds better. For those concerned about the price tag, it may be a bit more expensive because it's a better machine than the first scanner I tried. The Neat Receipt sounds good. I'd be willing to try again with that.

Robin

Once I have it set up I'll post a reply on how it works. :applause: Hopefully by the end of the week.

YourEveryDayVA

I have the neat receipt and love it, it stores not only business cards but receipts.

Its great for tracking total costs of projects that you need to purchase supplies for and in Canada anyways the digital receipts are legal for income tax purposes so you don't have to worry about the receipt being misplaced or fading.

I also use it for full size document scans of important information like insurance forms ect. I love mine. Good luck with your choice.