Question Discounts or gifts, which do you prefer?

AuroraMuse

Through another one of my questions on this forum I became curious, what do people prefer to receive when they are in a program or pay monthly for something?

Do you prefer to receive discounts?
Examples:
A special deal for signing up like x% off or x hours free when you sign up.
Every time you spend over $x you get $y back or 1 hour free
Every time you buy x hours you get 1 free or y% off.
The more you buy the more you save, buy 10 get 2% off, buy 20 get 4% off.
A free hours/money back if someone you refer closes a deal.
Etc.

Or do you prefer gifts? (assuming you took a survey to say what you do and do not like, so you will not receive a box of chocolates if you hate chocolates)
Examples:
A special welcome gift when you sign up.
A gift on your birthday like nice flowers or chocolates.
A gift on a special day or for a special accomplishment.
An "anniversary" gift for working together for a small amount of time.
A "Thank you for the referral gift"

Personally, I think its nice to get gifts once in awhile and I would prefer to balance both but I am not sure how much I can in the beginning.

I have seen this in stores too and I felt like the gifts were more about me then getting business for them but the discounts was still about getting business for them, trying to get me to buy more. Like Sephora gives away a birthday gift of birthday cake scented soap for birthdays, no purchase necessary, that's a nice gift/thought. But other places give me a coupon or something free with the purchase of something else (which is great if I plan to shop there anyway.

What are your thoughts? What do you prefer? (if you had to choose one, I guess)

ChiVA

I do think some would like to receive a certain percentage off or things like that, but I like tangible things (an ebook, a printout, a GC, etc.)

AuroraMuse

Thanks Kathy!
Glad to hear someone else say that. I think its different to and feels like you took an extra step rather than just saying 'let me minus a random number from your invoice' you've put some thought into the gift and it shows you really listen, and it makes it feel more personal . To me anyway. I think I'm going to use a little balance of both until I get a good feel but I think I'm going to start with gifts more than percentage/discount because my whole focus is on customization/personalization, the small/extra special touch to business and customer service and such. I think its more fitting to the overall company's feel.

AuroraMuse

Thanks Kathy!
Glad to hear someone else say that. I think its different to and feels like you took an extra step rather than just saying 'let me minus a random number from your invoice' you've put some thought into the gift and it shows you really listen, and it makes it feel more personal . To me anyway. I think I'm going to use a little balance of both until I get a good feel but I think I'm going to start with gifts more than percentage/discount because my whole focus is on customization/personalization, the small/extra special touch to business and customer service and such. I think its more fitting to the overall company's feel.

I think I like the idea of mixing it up a little bit...offering discounts from time to time, but then also acknowledging one or two special days, like an anniversary or birthday. Great ideas!

I don't really think offering discounts is good because people then expect it and start trying to low-ball your rates. I do however, like the idea that you send a gift for a birthday, or maybe a work anniversary - or Christmas. Sometimes just a calendar, or that chocolate you can get made in the shape of your business name, or logo. Tangible gifts do it for me. Good luck.

AuroraMuse

Thanks so much for your reply, I do agree that can definitely be an issue to consider and keep in mind. I do think I will focus on gifts more.

Leslie Teixeira

When closely dealing with service providers, such as a VA, I would much prefer a gift. As an example, our Mortgage Broker sends us a $5 gift card to a coffee shop on both of our birthdays. She also contacts us personally by telephone when we refer her to a friend (whether they use her services or not) to thank us and gives a $50 gift card to a restaurant of our choice. It's a great way for her to stay in contact with us and keep us thinking of her. It's been 4 years since we've used her services and we've recommended her to three of our friends who also ended up using her services.

I think this is VERY smart and I'm already planning on using her model with my customers! Not sure I'll be able to afford the $50 right away, but hopefully soon!