File Sharing

joannatubbs

Hi everyone
What do you all use for uploading/downloading files from your clients? I know of File Manager and Share File. I was wondering if there was anything else out there that is recommended. As usual I appreciate all you help and suggestions!
Best wishes, Jo

bridiej

I use Files Anywhere

I like Dropbox but I'm not sure if people can upload to it without having it installed on their PC?

Business-Bytes

I use Files Anywhere

I like Dropbox but I'm not sure if people can upload to it without having it installed on their PC?

To me, that is part of the ease of use of Dropbox. Once installed it can sync new files to their folder(s) as they are added, and all they need to do is open their folder and grab (drag and drop) their files - or add files to their folder the same way. No need to login to a site on the Internet, navigate to their file(s), and download/upload. Easy-peasy. :)

The installed file has a small footprint, so it takes up very little of your computer resources. I love Dropbox. :D

StaceyStahl

I have a Dropbox question. If I set up a folder for each of my clients, can I password protect each folder so other clients can't see what's in other folders? Actually, why would I want one client even seeing that there is a folder for another client? Or am I missing something? Am I overthinking this?

Business-Bytes

I have a Dropbox question. If I set up a folder for each of my clients, can I password protect each folder so other clients can't see what's in other folders? Actually, why would I want one client even seeing that there is a folder for another client? Or am I missing something? Am I overthinking this?
Stacey, this might help you understand how it works (better than I can explain it, LOL): https://www.dropbox.com/help/140

A client is "invited" the first time to their folder via an email. Other clients cannot see other folders, only their own.

HTH a bit. If you need further help, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Alana

Hi All,

Just wondering how you would explain dropbox to your clients and how you've approached any clients skepticisim about dropbox?

bridiej

Must admit that's what puts me off, the fact that clients will need to download something.

With Filesanywhere I just send them a link and they upload direct over the web, so nothing to download.

amylynn

I agree with all the Love Dropbox. It is a simple way to share files, it did take me a little getting usee to. As for getting clients on board- mine were already using it so I didn't have to worry about that!
I also use Central Desktop- which has a little bit more than transfering files and works well if you are working with a team.

I love dropbox, i have a personal one and a business one. It's easy to setup and easy to have clients share their documents with you. Plus I don't think i've come near my 2Gb once so far.

time_and_money

I use Dropbox and Google Docs. Both of them are great.
What did you mean 'the same thing' - like sharing files with your clients?
You can, but they have to have a gmail account - you just provide their email address and they have access to a particular file.

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
For receiving audio/video files from my clients they use the following, in order of preference:

1. E-mail attachments
2. Upload on my website with SendthisFile
3. (Tied) Dropbox, Courier, USPS, drops off at house

For returning the transcripts everything is sent by e-mail attachment.

I let my clients choose what they want to use and almost all choose e-mail.

I use Dropbox when I'm receiving work from other VA's.

With clients, they can either send stuff straight through email (depending on size), or I send them a link that they can upload their files to and it gets sent straight to my dropbox folder (similar to Filesanywhere I think that Bridie uses).

It's called DROPitTOme - it's like an 'app' you can use with dropbox. You set a password, and they can only upload files if they have the password.

Last edited: