Question Having clients in multiple states

VA Karen

New Member
Going through and reading articles from the sba website, I came across an article about doing business in multiple states. My question is: As a virtual assistant, do we need to get a certificate of authority or a certificate of foreign business from this other state before we can do business with a company in that state? If so, then that means we need 1 for each state in the US?

I just want to make sure I'm starting out on the right foot in the legal way.
Hi Karen,

That's a great question! I haven't heard of anything like that before, unless you sell products. In that case, you may need a seller's permit for each state, but with so much business happening across the U.S., I wouldn't think you have to have something in each state.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people know about this! Thanks for bringing it up!


New Member
Karen, what did the SBA article have to say about your question? Did it give you any suggestions? I know several types of service businesses that work for companies in other states, but don't know that they have certificates in each.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
No need for a business license in each state if you are working with clients in other states.

If your state or local government requires a business license, then you would need this for your place of business.

You can ask the SBA directly for a complete answer to that question or you can ask the Department of Labor in your state (google that) for specific answers. That's what they are there for.



New Member
I would think you don't need anything but in your own state because you are actually doing the business in your state not theirs since it is virtual. But I would wait and see from someone with actual knowledge of it. :)