Hello from Central Massachusetts

D

doone

Hi there. I'm so happy to have found this forum. From reading some of the posts here, it sounds like the perfect spot for some wonderful information and for bouncing ideas off experienced VA's.

I'm the mom of a special needs boy. I have a per diem, very part time job doing something that I don't hate, but don't much like either. It doesn't pay much, luckily more than minimum wage. It's more to help make ends meet, and I work while our son's in school.

I have a background in data entry and creating flyers with both Word and PageMaker (I don't think they even make PageMaker anymore). I very much enjoy real estate...even took the class required to become a salesperson. But with the market on the downward swing, I did not bother to get my license.

Last year I took the time to learn how to create web sites using Joomla!. What a great (free!) program, and a blast to use!

I would very much like to be able to work from home so that I can still work during school vacations. I can hire a Personal Care Assistant to care for my son, but we've had problems in the past with caregivers. I would prefer to be in the same house while he's being cared for so I can keep an eye on what's going on. Being a VA would allow for this. And I think it would be much more enjoyable than what I'm doing now.

My long term goal is to start a nonprofit company that involves kids and people young and old of all abilities. But that's another story...

I'm looking forward to talking with what seems to be a wonderful group of people!

kkeastridge

Welcome to VAF, Lorna. I think you'll find a lot of useful information and advice in this forum. I wish you lots of luck in your venture and future plans.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Lorna, welcome to the community :)
I can completely understand your motivation for wanting to run a business from home and am sure that if you put the effort in you'll find yourself well on your way to reaching that goal. There's a great support system for you here too so take advantage of that!

Looking forward to chatting with you more here on the boards :)

Y

yourstruly84x

Hello Lorna,

I am a newbie to VA's world. This forum has a ton of info. Good luck and best wishes! :welcome:

:welcome: Lorna;

A VA sounds like a "good fit" for you and your son. VAF is very great forum with loads of information and very helpful people. Your real estate training gives you great knowledge for a niche.

Good luck with everything, glad to have you with us.

AYS Consulting

Hi Lorna, welcome to the forums! You will find everything you need right here... and if you can't find it ask and someone will find it for you! This place is GREAT!!!:happydance: :happydance:

elitevacs

I just want to say hello and welcome to all the new VAs. I'm new as well. You have found a wonderful resource to help you build your business. I've been reading the posts on this forum for a couple of months now, and I just realized that there are sooooo many VAs out there and new ones joining the industry almost everyday. It's awesome! And, I am so happy there are so many VAs out there who are willing and ready to help, just for the asking. Thanks a lot! Janice, Elite VA/CS

EcoGreenREVA

I very much enjoy real estate...even took the class required to become a salesperson. But with the market on the downward swing, I did not bother to get my license.

My long term goal is to start a nonprofit company that involves kids and people young and old of all abilities. But that's another story...
I personally am pointing all my eggs in the RE niche market, which is self-evident by the company name I chose! :) I believe, as real estate agents look to remain competitive in the current RE market, maintaining an in-house office staff may no longer be a viable option for top-end agents. Agents who have always ran solo practices without a supporting team will need to expertise of REVAs to successfully compete in an increasingly complex marketplace which emphasizes the need for a strong, multi-faceted, online presence.

Regarding your long-term goal, be sure to include an "exit strategy" into your business plan... it would be better to plan now to one day hand off your clients into the competent hands of another VA in exchange for a fee for the referral of your hard-won clients, or to perhaps sub-contract and still oversee and profit from the VA business while you get the non-profit up and running. Exit strategies are numerous, but how you structure your business from the outset may vary based on your planned exit strategy, so although it seems to be putting the "cart before the horse" to even bring up the topic of one day no longer doing the VA business, it actually makes sense to plan your exit strategy NOW. :)

Good luck to you on both your long-term and short-term goals.