Hello from OH

debbie5

Hi,

My name is Debbie. I have been working in offices for the last 10 years and am a former teacher. I was laid off from my Admin. Asst. job and am thinking about starting my own VA business.

I am in the VERY EARLY stages of this and found this site. I have never had my own business but really want to learn how to start one. I know there is a lot of reading and understanding of how a business is made, but I am very determined to make a successful one.

I am looking forward to getting to know many of you.

Have a great evening,

Debbie from Cleveland, OH :seeya:

Hi Debbie,

Welcome. I am trying to get up the guts to leave my full time job to become a full time VA. From what I can gather, one of the first steps is figuring out a list services you wish to provide.

Best of luck.

Maura

LuzDonahue

VAF Community Leader
Hi Debbie!

Welcome! You definitely landed in the right place. The best thing to do is to just dive in. I would spend some time thinking about what services you want to do. It helps to try to find a mentor or an established virtual assistant who may need some extra help in exchange for testimonials and experience. You can absolutely do this. It just takes discipline and time. :)

Nice to meet you! Welcome to the forums and congratulations on a new venture!

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Debbie, welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

How are you doing with your initial research? Keep us posted on your progress - we're all here to help support you! :)

debbie5

Thanks everyone. There is so much information on starting a business. I sometimes don't know where to start. I have been reading a lot lately in what it takes to be a VA.

Alyssa ~ that would be great to get together when you move to Cleveland in July :)

Have a great weekend everyone,

Debbie

ChiVA

Hi Debbie.... welcome to the forum! I know you will find a great deal of information here to help you get your business off the ground - good luck :)

debbie5

Welcome Debbie! I am moving to Cleveland in July...maybe we can have coffee when I get settled? :)
This is for Alyssa (I don't have enough posts to send you a PM).....

I just viewed your VA business site. It is AWESOME. That's great that you are moving to Cleveland, OH in July. I'd love to meet with you.

I am in the very early stages of becoming a VA. There is so much to know. I know nothing about WordPress and making a website. Guess I have alot of studying to do.

Take care,

Debbie

debbie5

This message is for anyone....

I just added my pic on this site. How come you can't see it when I post messages?

Thank you

PatriciaM

Hi Debbie and welcome from SoCal. The idea to start my own business also started from being laid off. I was fortunate to have a year's warning so had some time to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up ;) I never had a business either but the information is out there to help those of us who are determined to go for it. Good luck and have fun!

debbie5

Thanks Patricia. I viewed your business website and it is very nice. I still have to come up with a business name and learn about Wordpress (I hear that is a good place to go to create a website)...then the hosting and all the other things that go into maintaining a business. I am a member of VANetworking and am a VAInsider. Love that site. And I love this one too. There is so much great information out there. It's just trying to compile it all in my head and start.

Have a great weekend,

Debbie

Last edited:

PatriciaM

Thanks for the kind words about the website :) The business name and tagline took forever to come up with, lol. I think I'd rather create a website! Fortunately I'm going into this with my daughter and she is taking the lead on the website which we have hosted at GoDaddy. I know enough to change things around and edit but she is the pro. I've signed up at several other sites but feel like this one is my main support. Also there's a lot of general business information at the Small Business Administration site. I invested in the Jumpstart class hosted here by Michelle Mangen. I highly recommend that if it fits in your budget. Saved a lot of time gathering information myself plus comes with a copy of Tess's book and a ton of templates for contracts, etc. (No I don't get a kickback, lol)

~Patt

I was wondering the same thing about the picture. Added mine but it's not there. And I help people with their websites if anyone needs a va for that! ;)

Orniti

Hi Debbie! I'm new and I'm in the Cleveland area as well. Maybe we can be a great support to one another being so local. Good luck with your business!