Hello from Princeton, MN

Hello, My name is Erika Glem and I started Advantage Administrative Solutions this past May. After being used and thrown away by so many different companies the past two years, I decided to start my own business. People have told me how good my administrative skills are so now I am using them to help businesses and sales professional that need the extra help.

My goal is to make my business successful enough to keep me busy, but not too busy that I can not provide the ultimate service to my clients. In the future I would like to expand my business to include associates.

I am a Minnesotan born and raised. My son plays hockey and just started football so I am constantly on the go.

I am looking forward to getting to know other VAs that are going through the same thing as I am. I am also looking forward to learning anything and everything that I can from the veterans.

tan247

Hi Ericka. Welcome to VAF. There is definitely plenty to learn here. Just check the forums for topics that interest you and you will probably find that answers to many questions that you may have already been posted. If not, don't hesitate to ask a question. Everyone here is extremely helpful.

I wish you the best with your VA business.

The Task Wrangler

Hi Erika. I know what you mean about feeling used and thrown away. In the corporate world, you might be appreciated by your immediate team members, but to the Powers That Be you're just another name in the admin pool (at my last dayjob, when the admins banded together to ask management why we weren't getting the same raise every other employee in the company was getting, our admin supervisor actually told us that the other employees all went to school for years and years to learn their field, but WE could each be replaced with a phone call to the nearest temp agency -- never mind that most of us were college grads with specialized training of our own. You can imagine how motivated we all felt after that meeting).

One thing I love about being a VA is that my clients really appreciate what I do for them, and they let me know constantly (and better yet, show me by referring all of their friends and colleagues to me). It's tough work building this business, and so far the unpaid hours I put in outweigh the billable hours. But it's worth it knowing that I'm really making a difference for my clients.

Jean B.

Thank you, I am the Secretary of both of my local networking groups and they are constantly thanking me for my great work (unbilled as you say) but because of these groups I have three clients and the testimonials that they give (make me blush) but make me feel like I could do anything. The best thing I ever did was join these groups and become their Secretary. I am college educated too and was starting to wonder if I would ever figure out what I would do when I grew up. I am now 36 years old and I finally feel that I am where I am supposed to be.

I am also glad that I found this forum because I know there are others just like me.

Erika

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Erika, welcome to the community - we're glad you're here!
I haven't heard anyone put it quite the way you did, but I think that's the most honest assessment of how companies are treating their employees these days. There is no such thing as loyalty, certainly no such thing as a guaranteed job.

You're brilliant to take your experience to work for yourself! Here's wishing you success and abundance in your new practice :)

Bernice

Welcome Erika, You'll find the forum very different from your corporate life. Everyone really supports each other and we all share our information and our trials and brags too. Sounds like you have a great plan in place for your business to grow and know just the amount of work you want to take on.

Cheers!!

LongIslandVA

Welcome Erika! You'll find that the VAF is a great place to correspond with people are doing the very same things for very similar reasons.

Best of luck!

Hi Erika. Congratulations on taking the leap of faith and starting your own business. You will find plenty of information and resources on VAF to get you started. I recently discovered this forum as well and I am so glad I did.

Best wishes!

micarter

Hello Erika!
Welcome, I am new also but have found so much help here. Look forward to getting to know you!

Welcome to the board, Erika! It sounds like you have a great plan in place. With all the cutbacks and downsizing in the corporate world, now is a great time to start your VA practice.

Good luck!
Erika

P.S.-I like your name! LOL!

bestva4u

Hello Erika and Welcome to the forum. Here you will find everything you need to know about VA business.

Good Luck :)

VCruz

Welcome Erika- We're neighbors! I'm in Zim. Admins unite!! It looks like you are finding, as I did, that it's a much more satisfying career when you work for yourself. I'm still inching my way out of coporate but my sister runs our biz full time right now. Would love to meet sometime!! We belong to the Zimmerman & Monitcello B2B and have found them to be a great decision also. Wish you great success!!!

Welcome Erika- We're neighbors! I'm in Zim. Admins unite!! It looks like you are finding, as I did, that it's a much more satisfying career when you work for yourself. I'm still inching my way out of coporate but my sister runs our biz full time right now. Would love to meet sometime!! We belong to the Zimmerman & Monitcello B2B and have found them to be a great decision also. Wish you great success!!!
:seeya:Hello neighbor! We will definitely have to get together for some coffee sometime. I am a member and Secretary to both the Zim City Biz Builders and the Princeton Networking Group (they are both free networking groups).