HELP! Should I quit my Full time Job?

StaceybEAS

Good morning. I thought I'd reach out today for some advice. I'm currently work a MISERABLE full time positions while growing my newly opened VA business. I haven't quite gotten my first client but I haven't pushed hard enough to get one as I am still trying to workout my own Kinks in the business. Nonetheless, I am very undervalued at my job! They blatantly show me that I am not valued and literally on a daily I am doing a 6 person job and only get paid me a fraction (1/3) of what I am worth. Its getting to be very bad for me mentally here.I hospitalized last night with my pressure being a 177/107 due to stress so now I want out but I fear quitting not having my business where I "think" it should be. My husband says Quit! (that the nice verse of what he really said loll). So here is my dilemma, with just his income we will break even every month (nothing extra) I don't want to live like that but I do have Faith in God that he will help me get my business going and it will be successful. I'm so confused! Could anyone share some advice or your experience if you have been down this road! Its greatly appreciated!!!

twenty47

Hi Stacey,

I can relate to your story. I was there and was faced with making that decision. I was in a job I had fallen out of love with, it was stressing me out and I was so sick often. I had irregular heart palpitations each morning I woke up. This was in 2013. My business was not yet fully set up but I knew it was what I wanted. The thought of leaving a full time job and that regular steady income is scary once you have become so used to it. But...before my business was set up fully, before I had any clients walking through the doors, I made that scary decision to quit my full time job. I had savings so little...we can't even talk about them but what I did have was a plan and a great support system. Fast forward to now...I look back and ask myself if I made the right decision. I think YES and NO. Yes because leaving my job made me step out of my comfort zone. It made me the the business world with a new pair of eyes. I have experienced a lot over the past year in this journey as a virtual assistant...especially the part of looking for and finding your ideal client. And NO because I wish I had saved more money and paid for more stuff like online training and all whilst I was still on my job. I also wish I had even started practicing it with clients then.

But after all has been said and done...I harbour no regrets. I am happy with the decision I made and take it as a challenge.

So Stacey, I would advise you think about what you need for your business. It's good that your husband is in support of you quitting. At least you won't be hearing "I told you so" at any point. But, that said, you should have enough saved up for your operational costs. Think of every single thing you may need to pay for. This includes Networking events where you are likely going to meet a good number of potential clients or at least get a chance to talk about your business (I wish I had known this one before I quit my job lol. I thought all could be achieved online but it didn't work out like that)

I wish you all the best and hope to hear more about your journey.

SuzannaK

I agree that it’s good to have some money saved up. Usually, financial professionals suggest that you have money saved up for at least 6 months. But it’s great that you have your husband’s support and income to fall back on. Before quitting your job, have everything ready for your business such as contract, website, a payment system, social media, etc. Also, create a marketing plan that lists where, when, and how you will market your business and connect with potential clients.

I got all of my clients online. Whether you market online or offline, I believe it is possible to become a full time VA in a few months if you are actively promoting and connecting with potential clients each day. If you just sit at home waiting for clients to find your website, it may be a very long time before anyone finds it and contacts you. So being active is the key.

execgava

Hi Stacey,

I wish you all the best.

Maybe start with listing what skills you have; someone may be able to start you off as a subcontractor while you are still working.

I have nothing right now, but who know!

At any rate, I wish you good health.

StaceybEAS

Thanks so much for this great advice! Currently, I offer Administrative, Marketing, Social Media Management, Website Creation/Design, Hosting, Logo Creation/Design, Brochures, Flyers, business cards, etc.

I definitely agree with the idea of saving 6 months worth of income. Even though my husband can handle its is a great idea to have a safety net just in case. Also, I was just looking into networking events which I think will be awesome to attend so i will be taking all this great advice into consideration before I make my decision. Thanks so much everyone!!!

I agree that it’s good to have some money saved up. Usually, financial professionals suggest that you have money saved up for at least 6 months. But it’s great that you have your husband’s support and income to fall back on. Before quitting your job, have everything ready for your business such as contract, website, a payment system, social media, etc. Also, create a marketing plan that lists where, when, and how you will market your business and connect with potential clients.

I got all of my clients online. Whether you market online or offline, I believe it is possible to become a full time VA in a few months if you are actively promoting and connecting with potential clients each day. If you just sit at home waiting for clients to find your website, it may be a very long time before anyone finds it and contacts you. So being active is the key.
Hi Stacey,

I can relate to your story. I was there and was faced with making that decision. I was in a job I had fallen out of love with, it was stressing me out and I was so sick often. I had irregular heart palpitations each morning I woke up. This was in 2013. My business was not yet fully set up but I knew it was what I wanted. The thought of leaving a full time job and that regular steady income is scary once you have become so used to it. But...before my business was set up fully, before I had any clients walking through the doors, I made that scary decision to quit my full time job. I had savings so little...we can't even talk about them but what I did have was a plan and a great support system. Fast forward to now...I look back and ask myself if I made the right decision. I think YES and NO. Yes because leaving my job made me step out of my comfort zone. It made me the the business world with a new pair of eyes. I have experienced a lot over the past year in this journey as a virtual assistant...especially the part of looking for and finding your ideal client. And NO because I wish I had saved more money and paid for more stuff like online training and all whilst I was still on my job. I also wish I had even started practicing it with clients then.

But after all has been said and done...I harbour no regrets. I am happy with the decision I made and take it as a challenge.

So Stacey, I would advise you think about what you need for your business. It's good that your husband is in support of you quitting. At least you won't be hearing "I told you so" at any point. But, that said, you should have enough saved up for your operational costs. Think of every single thing you may need to pay for. This includes Networking events where you are likely going to meet a good number of potential clients or at least get a chance to talk about your business (I wish I had known this one before I quit my job lol. I thought all could be achieved online but it didn't work out like that)

I wish you all the best and hope to hear more about your journey.

StaceybEAS

Thanks so much!!! I will definitely love to do some subcontracting work to get my feet wet in the industry. This is exciting. I will post my skills. Thanks!

Hi Stacey,

I wish you all the best.

Maybe start with listing what skills you have; someone may be able to start you off as a subcontractor while you are still working.

I have nothing right now, but who know!

At any rate, I wish you good health.

rsmanuel

Hi, Stacey!

It's a hard decision to make, isn't it? I am at that point myself, although I am not under working distress as you are with your current job.

Although it is a hard decision to make, I have read multiple stories of VAs quitting their full time job, or being laid off and forced out of them, and be thankful that they did. Without that cushion to land on, they are forced to come out of their comfort zone and take the necessary steps to put their plan in action.

I would; however, take the suggestions of others and make a few purchases of the things that are going to be vital in your start up before making the final decision to quit.

On the other hand, I believe I would be more concerned with my health!! I hope things have settled down a bit since your post. Keep us updated!

Best Wishes!

Ben Jones

Hi all, I am only in the planning stages of becoming a V.A and I was thinking that I would keep my full time job and set my business up on the side, as I start to get a couple of clients I would drop to part time and then if things pick up really well then make the decision to quit my job and do V.A full time.

The things I have to be careful of is that my wife and I are close to moving into our newly built home and have a lot of expenses there, we have twin boys (2yo) that are in day care so it will definitely be a slow and steady project to set up.