Internet research

I've seen a few people on the forum that offer internet research as a service. This sounds like something I would like to offer, I can find just about anything on the internet! However I'm not really sure I understand what sort of internet research people want out of a VA. What do clients usually want you to research?

I recently had a client ask about understanding the process and procedure in transitioning her company into a LLC. I have a law degree and have a better understanding of the process and what the legal terminology means in relation to her business. I am in the process of collecting all that information and presenting it to her in a document I created. I hope this helps.

willowadmin

I have completed a variety of internet research projects for a client recently. From corporate chocolates and exhibition stands to ink stamps & other stationery. I have also had to look into procedure for trademarking logo so think it varies from client to client. Hope that helps.:computer:

lark89

I've had a wide variety of research tasks including research on sensory deprivation tanks, client's competitor companies/books/games, choosing a diamond, statistics on self publishing, etc. The type of clients will depend of their industry but also their personal interests. Some research tasks have been for the clients personal life.

Virtcell

Internet research is indeed great service to offer. It may cover variety of subject areas depending on the client needs. I myself developed it while working for my full-time employer - on a daily basis doing researches on legal requirements in various jurisdictions and I am sure it will help me greatly as VA.

Susankelly

Does anyone have a more recent book they can recommend. The one above was published in 2001 and I have to believe a lot has changed since then.

I think it will definitely depend on the type of clients you have. I work mostly for attorneys, so I do legal research for them. However, I have been asked in the past to find out more information about opposing counsel, companies or even individuals that are involved in cases, which usually starts with resources on the internet. I think that you can put research out there and if and when your clients need assistance with something, you will be able to determine if it is something that you have the skills to perform to their expectations.

Blessedmomof5

I've researched for a freelance writer on a myriad of topics. And we used Evernote where I'd drop in articles and resources for her.

I've researched for another VA on a lot of various parenting topics and provided outlines.

jan

Mouthy

I love research. Sometimes a client will hear of a competitor and just tell me the name and location and ask me to spend 3-5 hours doing recon on them. Or they'll ask me to look up hotel stay rates in Country XYZ for a weekend in July ...it varies, basically.

Sometimes it's market research or studying things like pricing trends in ABC Industry.

It's more than knowing how to search Google.com, it's a bit more of a strategy to it.

I always ask...what do we already know? What knowledge do we lack/are in need of? What are we going to do with this knowledge? What other tools or resources do we need to proceed with that thing we're going to do, once we get it?

...and go from there.

Inspired

Research and information is my passion. I would love to do a lot of internet research with my business. Thanks for sharing

Tamara

I am a research junkie and can spend way too much time doing it. I guess that's a good thing if you are interested in specializing in it. This is an area I am definitely interested in persuing. I was just wondering which is the best way to bill this type of task. Hourly? By the project? Thoughts?

Another tool I have been using is Google Alerts for research. If you have a client who wants information on a specific topic on an ongoing basis you can create a Google Alert for that specific topic. Anytime that topic is mentioned you receive an email.

sml1170

Thanks Maura, for the great idea on using Google Alerts!

And to you, PeppyM for suggesting The Invisible Web.

I'm stuck and I'm trying to decide what to do next, but I love Internet Research (just haven't to do a lot of it yet!).

TMVAS

I can spend hours (and often do) on the Internet researching different topics. The time seems to fly by. I may need to look into this as one of my services since the needs under the research umbrella can be so varied. I'm glad I found this post.

Tobias Funke

I've seen a few people on the forum that offer internet research as a service. This sounds like something I would like to offer, I can find just about anything on the internet! However I'm not really sure I understand what sort of internet research people want out of a VA. What do clients usually want you to research?
Create an edge for yourself. For instance, having access to content behind a pay wall is extremely useful, even for your own research.