Question Just starting

Vatobe

Hello,
I'm starting to gather information on how to become a VA and hopefully, begin working from home.

I currently work full-time as an EA, M-F, regular hours, benefits, the whole deal. My question is:

Other than taking a huge risk and quitting (a good paying job, but bad company), how does a beginner find the work, along with the time, to start a new VA business?

Thank you!

MissChelseaNS

Time management. lol ;) I'm faced with the same thing. You use every available scrap of free time that you have. You get a break at work? Work on your business. Nights. Weekends. It's been said that new business owners work approx. 70 hours a week in their first few years of business. Doing that while working another job is impossible yes. But you have to work at it as much as you can.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Vatobe,

Dedication, sacrifice and organization. Clients do not generally fall into your lap so you need to market to them both online and offline. As for time to start your business you need to figure out where to squeeze in the time...get up an hour earlier, go to bead an hour later, eat lunch while researching and planning.

Being a business owner is not for the faint of heart but the rewards are certainly worth the sacrifices.

Vatobe

Im sorry. I should have clarified.
For example.... say i find a client only part time. But he needs assistance from 8am to 1pm.

Id like to actually have some source of income coming in before i quit my job.

I did sign up for Odesk, Elance, and Guru. Hoping to find some fixed projects that i can work on at night/weekends to get my feet wet.

Thanks.

brassring

Lee is right - not for the faint of heart! Schedule the time to work on your business as if it were an appointment - that way you have designated a block of time that is specifically set aside for those business development activities. Make a plan, and work steadily towards your goals - day by day - You can do it!

lrwells

Vatobe, I think it's totally do-able! The trick is to find the right niche that allows for your schedule. For example, social media VAs can work at any time day or night and don't have to be available during fixed times. Same with a tech VA... Just be up front with your clients that your availability is limited during the workday.

As a general note, I don't like working with clients who are stuck to a specific schedule because it really cuts into my mani/pedi times lol.

itsuncomplicated

Vatobe,
Finding the work is a matter of marketing yourself effectively, what worked for me was spending my evenings and weekends on the internet finding companies in my niche that I felt could be prospective clients down the road. After compiling a list of say 40-50-500 companies, I would email them a brochure along with a short email about myself. In my experience, at least 2 out of every 100 emails sent would get some sort of response. The most important thing is to follow up with anyone and everyone who shows some interest in working with you. I still use this method today and it works surprisingly well if you just keep at it and follow up.
I had a full time job when I landed my first client. I was going to my car to talk to him on breaks, working on projects on my lunch hour and evenings. Eventually I made the decision that working for a "boss" who was only looking out for himself wasn't doing me any good, so I quit. It was the best and the most stressful time of my life.
So, my advice to you...Don't quit your job just yet. Find yourself a client or two, put some hours in (they will be long ones) and see if it's something you like. Being a business owner is hard work, but it's yours.
Good luck to you, I wish you the best. Keep me updated. If you have any questions, or just want to swap ideas let me know.

mskelly1975

I agree with everyone else posts. I am just starting out, I spend countless hours in the early morning, late night, all weekend "working" my business. I am constantly researching, taking notes, working on my website, working on my LinkedIN, Twitter, etc. It requires dedication beyond belief but think about the big pay-off in the end!