Making a Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I am going to be purchasing my domain and I'm still new to the whole making a website thing. Are there sites out there that can make a website for me? Is there some sort of DIY website that has templates I could go by? Just looking for some answers because I'm excited to get my web presence out there!

Thanks!

Shay

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Shay, I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience with DIY sites *but* there are a few threads in this section that have conversations where members refer to the various programs they are using. I know Microsoft Office Live is very popular just from reading others' feedback and comments.

Try searching for 'free website templates' on Google and see what you come up with - I know there are HUGE libraries of free templates, you just have to install the files and voila :)

Good luck - let us know what you find!

I was thinking about Microsoft Office Live, but I was confused as to why they wanted my Credit Card information.

I bought my domain from GoDaddy. I'm a little afraid to do it myself though, but I figured, if I learn how to do this stuff eventually I could offer it my clients because I would have the hands on experience.

Shay,
I also use Microsoft Office Live for my website. you can use the basic, small business version for free and they give you your chosen domain name for free also. I used to blog personally on blogger but for the business I have recently signed up for Wordpress. It's a little hard to get used to after using Blogger for so long but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Now I just need to get some content posted LOL.

Christina
Vital Office Solutions

Office Goddess

When you bought your domain from GoDaddy, they threw in a free (ad supported) webpage. I started with the "coming soon" freebie they include and then started working on my website in the background. Once I was happy with the site, THEN I published it. I've been tweaking ever since, including this morning :D

They charge a $5/month hosting fee to remove the ads. That's why I completed the site and had it critiqued before submitting and paying to remove the ads.

I am so confused by the GoDaddy set up. How do I access the website coming soon feature? I thought I was internet savvy, but this GoDaddy site has too much going on for me, lol.

Also, they offer Free WebHosting? If I were to pay, how often would I be able to make updates or changes?

Office Goddess

go to www.godaddy.com and sign into your account. Click on "Site Builders" on the top "green" menu. Click on "My web site account." A page showing "manage web sites" should pop up. A yellow box reads "Free WebSite Tonight with domain - WebSite Tonight Economy - 5 Page Web Site (Free with Domain) " Click on "use credit." You should then be able to walk through setting up your website.

You can make changes to your website whenever you want as you are in total control of the setup/maintenance of your site. I make them constantly :D The free site allows just as much access as the $5/month site, the difference being a string of ads across the top of your web page.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Thanks for all the website advice. I have my temporary site up until I figure out my niche with the website making and what I want my logo to be.

If you want to take a look at it and give me any advice as to things I can change or things I need to add, I would really appreciate it.

vainparadise

I had the website tonight feature through godaddy and had someone from another forum build it initially for me. It is pretty user friendly, it is so not my forte!!

Office Goddess

Shay - a few things...

Home page - capitalize the it under "what are the benefits..."

Check previous web posts for info on Hamid's email conversion coding that prevents web crawlers from picking up your email for spam

Also check previous chats for suggestions on optimizing your page headers/meta tags so the search engines pick you up more quickly.

I like the colors - good start! :)

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Shay, I think you'll get more immediate feedback on the new site if you want to start a new thread in the reviews section ;) (which is also where you'll find info on the items Lily's mentioned here - in previous review requests)

Looking good though!! :)

jeannedb

Thanks for all the website advice. I have my temporary site up until I figure out my niche with the website making and what I want my logo to be.

If you want to take a look at it and give me any advice as to things I can change or things I need to add, I would really appreciate it.
Your site looks fine but I have to admit, I'm hopeful you come up with your own design that reflects your personality a bit more. You have a great domain name that shouts personality.

I did notice that this sentence from your contact page needs to be addressed:

We pride ourselves on prompt and efficient service and if you don't get a respond within 36 hours, you get an hour free of service.
Best wishes on your business.

mmrsolutions

Hello! I know of a lot of people that use Microsoft Office, but you really owe it to you and your business to invest in a good site. After all, that is what people are going to be seeing and in most cases, it will be their first impression. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, Alicia

Brianna Young

In terms of SEO, using a website builder severely decreases the chances that you'll be found. One good way to avoid this and still have a nice website for low-cost is to opt for a Wordpress based site. My VA site, my design site, and the NCWBE.org site are all Wordpress based.

Setting a site up this way is tricky the first time you do it, but yields nice results, and increases the chances that you'll be seen when someone types in relevant keywords.

I'm seriously thinking of having a webinar on how to do this. It's a great skill to learn as you can turn around and do it for clients, as well! If there's any interest, I'll start getting a webinar put together!

jeannedb

I second using WordPress. And if you're able to master it well enough to customize templates, it can be another great service to sell to your clients. You can create a WordPress based website for them and they can update it themselves without messing up the coding. It's also much less cumbersome/more user friendly than Joomla for clients.

Brianna Young

Absolutely, Jeanne!

If anyone is interested in learning how to do this on your own, post it here or shoot me a PM. I will start working on a webinar for this.

Customizing the templates is a whole different realm of Wordpress, and it takes a bit of CSS and HTML knowledge, as well as graphics programs if you want to customize the header. However, I could always do a second webinar on the basic stuff you need to know...

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is a superb idea Brianna! I've always been a big proponent of business owners empowering themselves in this way - learning to at least update and maintain your website properly is one of the best things you can do for yourself as a VA.

mmrsolutions

What a fantabulous idea! I would love to join in on that seminar. I work a lot in Wordpress, and I would love any helpful ideas or hints another VA could pass along.

Thanks! Alicia

Status
Not open for further replies.