Maryland Secretarial Services

webmss

I have been a member for a little while. I don't remember if I ever introduced myself.

I am Cindy Freland and I live in Bowie, Maryland with my family and 110 pound Akita, Athena.

I have owned Maryland Secretarial Services, Inc. since 1997. I provide word processing, data entry, transcription, and desktop publishing services to businesses, non-profit organizations, government agencies and individuals throughout the United States.

Cindy Freland
Maryland Secretarial Services, Inc.
www.webmss.com

kelli050

Nice to meet you Cindy :) I'm a newbie to the forums and to VA all around. I'm really excited to get starting and get things together. I've already found a wealth of information here - I'm sure you will also be able to provide some words of wisdom yourself!

webmss

I will try to help anyone who asks. The tips that I give anyone who starts a business is to join your local chamber of commerce and attend the mixers. Get small quantities of business cards and brochures printed because your business may change. Start out gradually to test the waters.

webmss

Thanks. I have been a member for a while but I haven't been writing much. I have been doing some digital medical transcription for a few months. It's great because I get to utilize subcontractors that are out of my local area.

CMColeman

I should pay more attention - I took a break from an eye-crossing task and didn't notice you've been here since October 2008!

One thing I love about this forum is the variety of experiences and expertise within the community. As a new VA, it's an awesome feeling to be surrounded by so many established business women (and men!).

webmss

Even though I do a lot of marketing and networking, I joined a non-profit organization and became their event chair. We have our main event today, BowieFest. It is a festival with crafts, non-profit, commercial, and government booths, animal shows, entertainment, rides and free books. I organized our booth and I will work there at 4:00 today. It gives me great satisfaction knowing that I am helping our city get an animal shelter. The closest animal shelter to us is in Forestville and that is 30 minutes away.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cindy, welcome :)
Bowiefest sounds like a really fun event and what a great cause - it's neat that you're involved in such an important issue for your community.

It's wonderful to have you here as a part of the community and I'm looking forward to learning more about you and your business goals!

webmss

Thank you very much to both Crystals. I have been a member for several months but I haven't contributed much since I joined. I have been in business for 12 years so I would be very happy to help with suggestions.

Shaheda

Hi Cindy,
Glad you've signed on again to share your experiences. 1997... you've been at this for some time! How huge is your client base? How long did it take you to officially become a VA and do you enjoy it as much now as you did when you first started?

webmss

Yes, I have lots to share. I have been doing a lot of networking and getting out of my office. My client base isn't large but I have several good paying clients that keep me busy. Actually, I didn't consider myself a virtual assistant until I attended a networking group through meetup.com. Rose, the founder of the group, told me that I needed to be "a sexy virtual assistant." So I researched the information online for virtual assisant and found that is exactly what I am. That was about a year ago.

Capricia

Welcome, :welcome:
So glad to have you as a member of this vital forum.. Get ready to learn so much.

I wish you an overflow of success in your VA business!
~Capricia:square:

webmss

Thanks. I am so excited. I am going to be taped on cable TV Wednesday, June 10 for a show called Bowie Business Journal.

sheffieldl

:welcome: Welcome (better late than never!) This is a great place to be, as I'm sure you already know by now!!

Lisa.