Meetup

Gayle

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about starting a Meetup in my community, I find that I usually have to travel at least 30 minutes to the nearest Meetup, and this is frustrating for me. I don't live In a rural area, there are hundreds of businesses in my community, so I feel like starting a Meetup might be successful.
Does anyone on this forum lead a Meetup? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Susankelly

I lead an activity Meetup, it's not business related so I'm not sure what you're looking for or if I can help. ;)

Gayle

Susan, I was thinking about starting a business Meetup. Maybe something for WAHM or women business owners.

Thanks

SuzannaK

Gayle,

I think the meetups are great form meeting people. I have 2 biz meetups in 2 different cities, and one meetup for girlfriends.

Susankelly

Karen it sounds like a great idea, start it and let us know how it goes but I'd think it would be a great tool for networking.

Gayle

Thanks Susan, I think I just might do that. I am working out the details but will be posting updates and requesting feedback once I get started.

Thanks

JoCarole

I have organized several of them.

Questions: where will the MUs be? your home, the library, office shop, etc. I never wanted any strangers in my home. Mine were social so it was always somewhere on the outside.

What type of meetup will you be having? Social or VA related? I always included a Waiver of Liability in case someone got hurt and I don't want to get sued.

Last edited:

saves-the-day

I completely support creating meet ups, but I wanted to mention to perhaps think about not making it WAHM specific. I feel like I am in a minority a lot of the time because I am not a mom at all, but a lot of VA socializing and stuff tends to be geared towards moms.

PatriciaM

Hi Gayle,

Great idea! I belong to two MeetUp groups. One is for Businesswomen and meets in a room at a Denny's during lunchtime. There is no charge to attend but you are encouraged to order food. This group meets monthly. The other group is for anyone wanting to network in general. They encourage collaboration, not competition. There are no limits as to how many of a certain type of business can join. I notice that many networking groups have limits on this. This group feels that everyone brings something special to the table even if there are 5 insurance salespeople for example. Personally I like that mindset. They meet weekly in a room at a local hotel mid morning. They charge $5 per person which covers coffee/tea/water/fruit/rolls and the meeting room. So whatever you decide, I hope it's wildly successful and fun :)

Gayle

Thank you guys for responding, I do agree with the point of not just targeting WAHM, but instead, just creating a group for women business owners.
I haven't started yet, because I have a lot of things on my plate right now, however, I am hoping I can begin before the end of this year.

michelle411

A Meetup sounds like a wonderful idea. If I knew of one in my area that supported my Virtual Assistant business needs, I would surely attend. I still have a job because my business is green and still learning to take flight, but I would take a vacation day off to attend a Meetup.