Microsoft Office

joannatubbs

Hi all I have Microsoft Office 2000 and am looking at taking on typing jobs. I was wondering if I should upgrade my whole system to Office 2007 with the ability to upgrade to 2010 when it's available. What do most people use? Is it a problem with clients if an older version of Word is used? I will definately be upgrading in the future as I want publisher but just to get started I am wondering if 2000 is good enough. As usual I'd really appreciate your thoughts..........:idea:

CortneySellers

Hi,

One way I do this is to always have the latest in crucial software. Office is definitely crucial. Others depend on my clients needs and prefs, but Office is on that list for all.

In the corporate world, many are using 2003 but slowly going to 2007. So you should at least use software compatible with potential clients, which would be 2003. However, it's a better buy to get the latest.

I think MS has a deal right now that if you buy 2007 through them now, you'll get 2010 for free. So that would be my suggestion. Check http://office2010.microsoft.com/ for latest info on that possibility.

One other thing, when buying Office, is to decide which version you'll need. Look for a comparison chart to determine difference in versions.

HTH!
Cortney

Office Goddess

I would go at least office 2007 since you can 'down save' to a 1997-2003 version should you have a client that needs it.

Be aware that it is a pretty significant learning curve going from the toolbars to a 'ribbon' format and things aren't always where you expect them to be located. Google MS Office Conversion and you can find an excel spreadsheet that will tell you where things are in 2007 based on how you found them in 2000.

I suggest that (if your computer has the memory) you load the 2007 program as a stand-alone, rather than doing an upgrade, if possible, so that when you are under a time crunch you can revert back to using the older version for a single document. As I said, the learning curve is significant - I upgraded 4 months ago and am still learning 2007, even though I use it daily.

CortneySellers

Yes - always, always, always, always, always (enough LOL?) do a full install of Office. Upgrades usually cause more problems than you might expect.

joannatubbs

Thanks for the advice. Decision made. I will get 2007 with the opportunity to upgrade to 2010 when available. I was thinking of getting Office Pro which seems to have everything I need. Thanks again.