Problem Need Some Advice!

Amy Kay

I have received an email from a guy who wants to know more about what I do and if I have an accounting background (which I don't), I'm just not sure how I should word the answer. Should I go through and list all the services that I CAN provide? Any input is greatly appreciated!:yikes:

Michelle Mangen

VAF Virtual Assistant Jumpstart Course Instructor
I'm guessing he didn't give you any indication of what services he needs?

If he did, then answering those along with your "no, I don't have an accounting background" will help him know that you can do other things he may be asking.

If he didn't give you any indication maybe write him back and ask what services he needs (and how frequently)?

Amy Kay

No he didn't say, but I'm assuming it is accounting because he specifically asked. I replied back, so we'll see what happens!:) Thanks Michelle!

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Usually when this happens they are fishing for information. If you don't have the background say so and then follow-up with a lets have a conversation to determine you needs. Also add in if I cannot help you directly I can certainly steer you towards someone who can.

Side note: If you have listed bookkeeping or accounting as a service and do not have an accounting background you may want to rethink this. Often times when people are looking for this type of service they want someone with the education and experience.

Amy Kay

Usually when this happens they are fishing for information. If you don't have the background say so and then follow-up with a lets have a conversation to determine you needs. Also add in if I cannot help you directly I can certainly steer you towards someone who can.

Side note: If you have listed bookkeeping or accounting as a service and do not have an accounting background you may want to rethink this. Often times when people are looking for this type of service they want someone with the education and experience.
That's exactly what I said, I told him I did not have an accounting background but if that is the service that he needed that I had a network of VA's that might be able to help. I did not list bookkeeping/accounting on my list of services, so I should be good there. Thanks so much Lee!:)