Ok, now I'm scared.

JacksonAO

I've been a little quiet on the forums the past couple of days because I've been spending my spare time setting up appointments. I have 4 appointments this week that are networking in nature. But I just talked to one gentleman who has a $4 million auto repair shop who wants me to stop buy because he is interested in my services for project work.

One example he gave was that awhile ago he needed to search his database through hundreds of parts for some information and it was tedious, he would have loved to just outsource that. He has a full time office person and his wife working 25 hours a week handling the routine office stuff, but it's these extra's that he needs help with.

When I go see him next week I don't want to take a lot of his time, but I want to articulate clearly, where I can help him. So far what I know I can do is
1.) demonstrate the secure logmein feature so he sees I can gain virtual access to his database for those types of projects
2.) possibly give a brief overview on my past experience learning databases (not hard, including part and fastener databases).
3.) hand out my flyer which has a summary list of the broad range of services and emphasize that I can be used temporarily to fill in if barb needs a week off for vacation, etc.

What other kinds of projects would be really helpful for this type of business?
I'm sure I'll think outloud and come up with other ideas but right now I'm just a little geeked, nervous, excited, hoping I don't screw this up.

I don't have a current customer to use as a reference right now.... !!!!

BinAL

I know several mechanics, and sometimes they may not have a part in inventory, and need to find it and need to purchase or order it from somewhere. You may also offer to research various suppliers for price comparisons...I am calling this "cost and inventory research and analysis" but it's really just shopping.

JacksonAO

I actually have this on my list of services so I'll emphasize that. I have quite a bit of experience with purchasing so it's up my alley.

Leanna Kalka

Maybe a sample of your work. Such as a form letter you use for merging the database into for mailers or something along those lines. Also, have your blank contract with you, that shows the you are a professional and that you take your business serious. Last week I took my blank contract with me and my potential client is now my newest client that is very impressed with me and he feeling that I was very prepared and professional.

Of course, I wouldn't pull that out until he starts discussing fees and such. That makes it a good segway to pull out your contract and show where you've outlined your fees.

JacksonAO

Good tip.... I was planning on preparing a quote and a contract for that segway. Congrats on your newest client. I have pulled together some samples that I haven't put on the web yet because they are documents originating from my day job and I didn't want to put those online, but I could certainly use those for a more secure in person meeting.

eve_k0802

Do you offer billing or bookkeeping services? I'm sure with a business that large just doing the A/P and A/R is a huge project every month. That would be a good thing to offer. Who knows, if his wife is doing those projects it may just be because he doesn't have anyone else to do it and she's helping him out.

Best of luck - let us know how it goes!

virtual writing

Sarah, all this sounds absolutely wonderful, except the part about offering to fill in when his wife wants off. Would that be in-office? Whether it would or not, I'd caution you to make sure he sees you as a contract professional and not as an employee. Just be sure to couch your language in terms that affirm your equal value with the client. Unless you're looking for a traditional job, that is ...

Tess

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, congrats on the prospect! I'm thrilled for you and just know you'll impress this guy and land the contract!

What about marketing - what sorts of marketing is he doing now and how can you help streamline that process or add to it? Does he have a website? Does he need a website? Does he keep up on industry blogs, newsletters, or headlines (perhaps he'd appreciate a synopsis of what his competitors are doing each week, etc.)...

Keep us posted on how this goes and best of luck! :)

JacksonAO

I'll have to look online and do some research this weekend on the auto market online. They are a bit behind in the area of technology. While they do have a website is it poorly maintained. And he admitted his lack of computer knowledge at all.... he didn't even know how to look up a web site!

StephanieP

Good tip.... I was planning on preparing a quote and a contract for that segway. Congrats on your newest client. I have pulled together some samples that I haven't put on the web yet because they are documents originating from my day job and I didn't want to put those online, but I could certainly use those for a more secure in person meeting.
Just be very careful of proprietary information. Proprietary is proprietary wether your using it online for the world to see or showing it to your mother. I used to use company stuff for classes I was taking but would always get prior permission and remove any sensitive stuff such as the company information and such.

VAofSWFL

You guys are awesome! I came to the site to find a document and saw Sarah's post and read through the tread, everytime I come to this formum I'm impressed! :)

motivated

I send thank you cards once an appointment has been set. I thank them for the appointment and how I look forward to working with them. You look very professional. I then send another card after the appointment.

I also offer them my card service to use with their customer, thank you for allowing us to do your repairs or providing you with your parts.

Saundra Jackson

C

CSolutions

Jackson, I smiled with delight when I read this post, about your potential clients.

Because I recall not very long ago, (a day or so ago) I posted to your "now what" post (...Give yourself a little more time and before you know it, you will have more projects than you'll be able to handle (alone).) Whereas you were concerned that you hadn't gotten any clients. And look at you now. Congrats! Take a deep breathe, you will do well.

Monique

Good Luck! Be confident and take a deep breathe. Congratulations, your half way there; Now go close that deal.