Quickbooks question

moiraesfate

Getting frustrated with this program. Online version. Can I search inside invoices for individual postings without ONLY using the amount. Meaning... can I create a report that will allow me to see the memo notes associated with the posting?

I'm trying to cross reference an existing database with the information in quickbooks to find errors without going through every single posting in quickbooks for that specific invoice to find the errors. The quickbooks postings are formatted with the code of the account and the last name of the individual in the memo area.

If I could print the paperwork for the date from the computer system, and a report from quickbooks that states the amount and the information in the memo, it would eliminate hours upon hours of work.

Michelle Mangen

VAF Virtual Assistant Jumpstart Course Instructor
Hi Moria, I think I can help you out! I love figuring things like this out and work in QBO day in and day out.

Can you give me the info you'd like to see in a report.
I know you def. want the memo but also assuming you may want the date, client name, amount, maybe even an invoice number? Anything else? Cash or accrual?

Let me know and I'll play around in mine to figure it out and then you can create it as a memorized report.

moiraesfate

Oh oh oh... please. I'm ready to pull my hair out. I spent 4 hours today trying to find an error in an invoice on April 3. It kept saying that I had only $80 left to post on the invoice but I actually had almost $600 left to post. I'm sorry, I hadn't checked this in a few days.

So the way that we are currently doing it, we create the invoice. This includes the total room amount (all nights not including taxes), the number of rooms (it is equal to a city tax), the amount for parking, parking taxes, lost key fees, pet fees, and remaining taxes. This gives us the total that the invoice SHOULD be.

Now I go to the receive payment screen. In the memo area, I enter the confirmation/reservation number and the last name of the guest. The posting date is the original payment date. Since the guest stay may cover several days but doesn't cover the date fo the invoice I just created, I enter the amount to cover each days. For example.... if the total posting amount is $225.74 that is the equivalent to $112.87 per night including taxes (makes the rate $99 per night). So the amount posted to the invoice date would be $112.87 per night it applies to. This means the post would zero out.

The problem comes when the rates are different or a screw up happens where the staff took the wrong amount for the first night, then made up for it on the second night by taking the remaining amount.

We post them manually. I need the total posting date and amount, the post per night, and the memo.

The information coming from the computer system we use gives me the dates of stay, the rate, the taxes, the guest name, and the confirmation name. I have to calculate the total per night manually but that's fine since I have excel for that.

Quickbooks is driving me batty since according to the quickbooks rep, the only way to look at the posts associated with a particular invoice is to look at every single invoice individually which can take hours.

If I can get a report out of quickbooks that will give me the same information as the report out of the computer system, it would save me HOURS of work.

I'd be so appreciative if you can tell me how to do that.

Incidentally, the problem today turned out so far to be two different guests who had been posted to slightly the wrong invoices. One had to be moved back a day and one forward. But I still only recovered a little over $300 so I have to work on it again on Monday.

Michelle Mangen

Thanks so much for all of this detail. Can you explain more what "post" and posting is - it seems as though maybe it's being used in multiple contexts?

The other question I have is the multiple day stays (that part isn't quite clear above but maybe it's because I don't fully understand "post/posting").

Even better, if possible, maybe you could email me a sample invoice? (feel free to black out names or create a "test" customer). I don't want to put my email here in the forum but you can send me a message through my website contact form at http://thevirtualasst.com

Other than that I have a good idea of what you're trying to do.

moiraesfate

Sorry, industry terms, I think. Refers to payments mostly. I tried to make it clear but get caught in it sometimes. As you know, I've worked in hotels for many many years. The accountant for a company has hired me to help. I tried to avoid posting here because it's an hourly position but it seems to be the only place I can get an answer on anything. I tried yahoo answers, the quickbooks forums, calling quickbooks, etc and no one has a clue.

Umm, I can't remember the actual term in quickbooks so I will have to look at it tomorrow when I go to work and get back to you. I don't have access from home since it would require a special code to open the access on my computer and I don't know if she'd be angry I'm asking in the site or not (she's very high strung).

Michelle Mangen

Let me know when you get a chance to see what shows in QB. Most likely payments if I'm understanding what you're saying. :)