Article The Low Down on Being a Six-Figure Virtual Assistant

Michelle Mangen

VAF Virtual Assistant Jumpstart Course Instructor
Lee, you absolutely can speak for me! Investing in ourselves and our business are incredibly important. In addition to the points I mentioned in my above comment to Susan the coaching also helps get outside perspective and ideas that we just can't see sometimes because we are "too close" to the problems/challenges. And coaches have worked with so many people that they have more insight into what has or hasn't worked for other business owners - even if those business owners aren't in the same industry as us.

lmgarc

Michelle,

Your comments how you've gotten to 6-figures and what you've had to do to maintain, etc. are invaluable. This helps us starting out to see that we are trying to build a business, not some "stay home in your fluffy socks" pipe dream. Reading these comments about hardship and how life can sometimes get in the way is crucial to give us an opportunity to assess whether this is the CORRECT path for us.

I just read an article this morning interviewing Thomas Keller, basically discussing passion vs. desire. I'm sure you're not PASSIONATE about your business everyday, but you have the unwavering desire to make it work every day.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672282/thomas-keller-on-why-passion-shouldn-t-drive-you

Thank you for your guidance!

I attended a Dave Ramsey Peace Financial University class this winter and he basically told us to pay off our debt with gazelle like speed. Get a second job ... sell, sell, sell. Starting my VA business was how I am working towards completing the baby steps in the program. I believe that through this process, I will one day be able to work my VA business full time, on my time, living like no one else now so I can live like no one else later.

I'm grateful for all the sharing you ladies do on this forum.

mak39

@Michelle, congratulations on your achievement !! I read your article and it was inspirational, it just shows once again that through hard work anything is possible !!

Michelle Mangen

LM, thanks for sharing the Fast Co article on Thomas Keller - I love his use of asparagus to put passion/desire into perspective. Most days I absolutely love what I do and my desire to help other small biz owners get more done and grow is my driving force for what I do. I often joke around on how much more I could get done if "life" didn't get in the way. :)

Heidi - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dave Ramsey and his books came up during one of the six week sessions in my recent Virtual Assistant Business Jumpstart classes. It's because of Dave's book (Complete Guide to Money) + wonderful advice from a financial planner that I experienced a total turn-around in my finances as of July 2012. I advised every girl in the course to read the book and implement his advice NOW, at the start of their business, vs. down the road. I developed a Google Doc for a client as a result of the book to help him (my client) manage/better understand his finances. I'm going to be putting it together into a class/product for Virtual Assistants soon too as I saw there was def interest in it with my students. Have you read Dave's book on Entrepreneurship yet? (I haven't but will be)

ReeseBY

Susan, your friend is right. If you're working in a service based business like the virtual assistant industry then your can't scale your business. You can only work so many hours in the day (unless you're Michelle :) ).

Your friend is trying to show you that if you think differently you can move towards a product based business. Products that you sell on your website to enable you to make an unlimited amount and not be restricted to the amount of hours you have in your day.

Regarding the $30 per hour you mentioned above - the VAs that are making six-figures are often charging in the $50/hour or more range OR they have a team of VAs.

Susankelly

Hi Reese,

Yes I know they charge higher fees and I don't necessarily want to be a 6 figure VA. And right now since I'm starting off local I don't think on a local basis $50. an hour would fly. However I hope to get more local business for experience and references and then branch out from there. I'm older then a lot of the women here starting their businesses and there is no possible way I could work like Michelle! I did that in my career job a long time ago.

But I wouldn't mind doing it with some product based income. My friend has some great and unique skills to sell. Right now I just can't figure out what "products" I'd sell. But I'm thinking on it every day.

I love all these discussions! The combined knowledge here is fantastic.

Michelle Mangen

Susan, since your mind is already thinking "products" something will most certainly come to mind. And probably when you're least expecting it. :) My best ideas seem to either come in dreams or while I'm in the shower - I have hopped out of the shower before and ran, dripping wet, to my desk to jot something down.

Reese, I'm hoping to get my rates above my average of approx. $45 this year but is going to take some value perception work (thank goodness for my coach!)

MissChelseaNS

Amazing article! I love that you mentioned "treading water". That's how I feel here lately, so it truly spoke to me. I am dealing with a lot, and I feel like always working at it and trying is making me stay afloat. Thanks for the encouragement. ;) And I hope you get to travel and do all the things you want to in life as well. Life's too short not too! <3

Michelle Mangen

Jenna, very well said, biz can def be like a wheel.

Miss Chelsea, hang in there and remember why you started (I know that can be hard some days)

sarahdavey

Thanks for sharing your story, Michelle! I really hope your son is in good health, and I'm sending lots of good karma vibes your way!

Michelle Mangen

Heidi, I'm anxiously awaiting my copy to arrive (should be any day now). It may be on CD but not sure, maybe check with your local library?

Thanks Sarah - we're still in experimentation phase of treatment with my son's health :(

chelseywash

Loved the article, thank you for sharing. You show that it's possible but it also comes with setbacks. It's not all rainbows! Realistic expectations are great! Thanks for your honesty.