Time it takes to transcribe an hour

bridiej

Hi Birdie,

I read your post and want to make sure I understand. If you charge per recorded minute, does that mean you charge your clients $60 for a 1hour audio? So your hourly rate would be between $10 and $18 per hour of actual time spent? Is this correct?

So say I charged someone $2 per recorded minute, it's simply 2 x 60 = $120 - so I would be paid $120 regardless of how long it takes (assuming it took 3 hours to type that's $40 per hour)

I have an hourly rate based on transcription time. I also use the Industry Standards, but more often just use 4.5 times the length of the recording. If the recording is one hour, that would be 4.5 to transcribe times my hourly rate.

Hi Birdie,

Thanks for that. It makes total sense and sounds like a good rate to me. Roughly that would be $30 or so an hour. I'm just amazed at some people who charge $8 an hour. I really think that transcribing takes good listening skills when you are dealing with tapes and rough audio, etc. and thus is really important that the VA doing the transcribing be paid a fair rate.

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

bridiej

You're welcome.

I personally find it a lot easier to use a PRM rate than hourly as I the client knows what they're going to be charged before they've even sent the work - saves arguing over invoices!!!

JRCassisting

Hi everyone! I am new to all of this, but threads like these are why I love VAF! I am in the process of getting my website completed and making decisions on which services I will be offering. With transcription being on the list the information being presented here is invaluable to me!

I do want to ask though where did you all purchase your foot pedal? I've never used one but if it speeds up the work.... why not try it!

Joanna,

You're just about right with your speed.. so is everyone else. 4 to 5 times the length of the audio is what I typically go by. 12 minutes audio - 48mins/60mins transcription; 1 hour audio - 4hours/5hours transcription.

ExecAdminAssist

I recently completed a transcription test and was concerned that it took me so long to complete it. Thank you everyone for contributing to this forum - it has put me at ease somewhat. I do find focus groups and verbatim transcripts challenging - my comfort zone is in editing as I go.

bridiej

I find it depends what I'm transcribing. If it's a focus group it takes me longer, if it's just one person speaking or a one-on-one interview of good sound quality then it's much faster.

I did a 120 minute file yesterday, group meeting with not fantastic sound quality throughout -took me between 4-5 hours (difficult to know for sure as I took some breaks during the day) yet another job I'm working on a 60 minute file takes me around two hours...

I find it depends what I'm transcribing. If it's a focus group it takes me longer, if it's just one person speaking or a one-on-one interview of good sound quality then it's much faster.

I did a 120 minute file yesterday, group meeting with not fantastic sound quality throughout -took me between 4-5 hours (difficult to know for sure as I took some breaks during the day) yet another job I'm working on a 60 minute file takes me around two hours...
Hi Bridiej,

Thanks for all the info. I'm planning to learn this new skill and making my niche. Before I spend money on paid training, is there any free courses that I can learn from? Any sites? would love to hear from other VAs too.

Thank in advance for all your input :heart:

Bridiej, I don't know of any courses, but if you want to contact me I would happy to answer any of your questions that I am able to answer and giver you some helpful suggestions. -Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for your helping hand. It wasn't Bridiej who asked about Transcription course/training. I'm Jessie ;)

Anyways, much thanks to you. I will surely ask you for any help.

Thanks!

bridiej

You don't need courses, what you need is practice.
When I first started I registered with a transcription company and freelanced with them for a while - it's definitely the way to go, make sure you like it as it's harder work than it looks!

Good luck :)

As bridiej said, yes, you definitely need to practice transcription. I've transcribed for a lot of years and several years ago I worked with a company doing medical transcription. When I told him I didn't have any medical background (only legal), he told me that was okay, he has a harder time finding transcriptionists because some people just cannot hear it and type it.

Jama

MIM Enterprises

Hi Ladies,
I agree with the Perfect World - one of the first posts in this discussion.

With transcription these days and especially with the advent of digital audio there is no excuse for gibberish and whilst I am personally used to tight deadlines, if the audio I receive is gibberish and not able to be improved due to my awesome computer and wonderful audio tools, I do not waste time on it.

I think as professional transcriptionists we need to value our abilities and attract clients who appreciate our value-added services.

I have many experiences in many industries like many of you ladies do and prefer to streamline the work I accept these days. I admit to being a perfectionist and realise that these days that is not possible if the audio supplied is gibberish.

Hope you are having a great year and continue to grow and enjoy your work.
Michele

You don't need courses, what you need is practice.
When I first started I registered with a transcription company and freelanced with them for a while - it's definitely the way to go, make sure you like it as it's harder work than it looks!

Good luck :)
Bridiej,

That's an invaluable advice and I really appreciate it. I need to motivate myself why learning this skill as it's not just an easy skill.

Thanks!

To improve my transcription skills I went online and located some free Pod Casts and downloaded them to transcribe. I have only ever transcribed dictation, never multiple speakers, and the Pod Casts can give you a variety of things to transcribe.

KKanDoVA

I'm glad to see this thread, including not only the time it takes to transcribe, but the fees several of you charge. I feel better now knowing I'm in the right ball park.