Typing skills required?

joannatubbs

Hello everyone
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it isn't, my apologies! My question is this. With most people being able to use a computer and have some sort of typing/word processing skills, are VA's still being asked to provide a typing service? I'm sure that all of you, like me, have the ability to touch-type at some speed, but is this really necessary these days? Do people still want it? I happen to like typing (I'm a bit strange like that!) so would be more than happy to take on large typing/word processing jobs alongside the really interesting things. Just wondered what the general feeling is out there.

intercovbc

It's not so much that people can or can not type it's more do they have the actual time to do it. Or is there something they could be better spending their time on. Or do they even like to type. Or do they have the speed and dexterity required to type a 20 page thesis for example.

It's not so much that people can or can not type it's more do they have the actual time to do it. Or is there something they could be better spending their time on. Or do they even like to type. Or do they have the speed and dexterity required to type a 20 page thesis for example.
I totally agree with the above.

There is indeed a market for it. One client I have just needs names and addresses put into a database. There are people that fill out a slip of paper for a drawing. My client uses that information to mail to these people information for my client's next event. There can be anywhere from 2 to 3 thousand entries and it takes a couple of months to do it (he has seasonal events so he doesn't need it until that season comes around again). It's not my favorite task but it helped me stay afloat in the beginning until I had more clients (which now I do). But the typing is needed. As said above, people CAN do it but don't want to nor have the time. I'm sure there are lots of different typing jobs, this is just one example. If you don't mind this kind of typing, you can ask any vendor that has a drawing box "who types all that in for you?"

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
Most of my work is transcription now, but I did have one client for whom I feel I was a true multi-VA. Not only did I type difficult things, but very simple things as well. She even sent me stacks of FedEx forms to fill out by hand for her so she wouldn't have to do it herself. Hey, if she want's to pay me my regular hourly rate for that...LOL

You just never know what a client will want. And like someone else said, I think it's all about the client's time. Even if they can do it, they may not want to spend their time on that when other things needs their attention.

joannatubbs

Thank you once again Ladies. I'm beginning to see the real value of this forum. It's great just to be able to bounce ideas and thoughts off like-minded people.

kezcol

One other thing worth remember is not to undersell your skills.

While for some MS Word is a walk in the park but to many it is a nightmare when they have to produce a quality product or when required to do something simple (to some) like changing the margins on a document. At this point many people will throw their hands in the air and submit.

It is then that we can do what we we find simple for people who may do other things we would not be able to start.

Its all about horses for courses, what we find simple others find difficult and that is where we can help.

Don't sell yourself short, if you can turn on a PC you are ahead of some and they may be willing to pay for someone to turn on theirs so they can concentrate on selling their widgets (the main focus of their own expertise).

ambertheva

I love to type as well! Database work is on the boring side, but really doesn't take much brain power at all, once you know how to do it! It's a great way to bring in some extra cash and get your business off the ground!

Gal Friday

This is slightly OT, but I too love to type... however I developed mild carpal tunnel a few years ago despite ergonomic efforts to prevent it. Does anyone know of anything I can do/use to support my wrists and still be able to type comfortably?

ambertheva

An ergonomic keyboard and mouse really helped me. Also, wearing braces (bought at walgreens) during the night really helped too!

Gal Friday

Thanks Amber, I do have braces I wear at night mostly - but somehow they end up on the floor before morning! :p I must take them off in my sleep! The problem with the keyboard and mouse is that I have a laptop. I need to further research this - this thread got me thinking about it which is great!

joannatubbs

Hi Leigh

I will also be using a laptop once I finally get set up, but I'm going to have a separate keyboard and screen which is far more comfortable. My husband does this in his home office and it works perfectly. Maybe it would be a solution for you?

Jo
:seeya:

DianaEnnen

Hi

I totally do believe too there is a great demand for this even today. A lot of your new businesses and small businesses can use the help in addition to the legal and medical fields. Plus, authors too. Often times they might have some of their work typed, but they still need additional help with it.

I too had carpal tunnel syndrome (surgeries, etc.) and that's when I had to change my services. Fortunately it got me writing my books and doing publicity, but at the time it was absolutely no fun at all. (It hurts!) My doctor told me these tips: shake your arms every 20 minutes. Actually stop for a few seconds and put them down to the side and shake them. Rest often. Actually stop typing, go read an email, etc. Definitely get ergonomic keyboard and even more important today I believe is a mousepad. If you have a laptop, I do believe you can get a keypad that you can use. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Also, you want to make sure that your chair is at the right level so you are typing right.

Good luck!

Diana Ennen
VirtualWordPublishing
www.virtualwordpublishing.com

SuperstarVA

I can count a number of people I know, specifically doctors that I"ve worked for that sincerely act as though typing something out would be like an act of Congress. They use to treat me as though I did something fantastic but actually, I just did what I like to do. Typing. Weird, aren't we?

VYPA72

Typing comes in many shapes and forms. It maybe as transcriptions from audio or a client sending over faxed copies of their website or data to be typed into a readable format. Whatever the case typing is always needed. Although clients can use a computer they always have some things which they know they don't have the skill, patience, or time to do themselves.

Always promote your skill and with typing comes so many opportunities because it is always necessary.

shadowcat

Leigh you may be able to add an ergonomic keyboard to your laptop via USB - microsoft do a very good one - I have three

Sandra

Suberg

I had the same problem in my wrists but found some exercises online that--along with the ergo keyboard and mouse--made my carpal tunnel symptoms disappear. Fist your hands and rotate in circular motions 5 seconds each way every hour during the day. It sounds really simple but it was amazing how much of a difference it made. There are several others I found which you can probably just find with a Google search.

Hope someone's suggestions here help you!

rambookkeeping

Hello everyone
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it isn't, my apologies! My question is this. With most people being able to use a computer and have some sort of typing/word processing skills, are VA's still being asked to provide a typing service? I'm sure that all of you, like me, have the ability to touch-type at some speed, but is this really necessary these days? Do people still want it? I happen to like typing (I'm a bit strange like that!) so would be more than happy to take on large typing/word processing jobs alongside the really interesting things. Just wondered what the general feeling is out there.
To tell you the truth, I have a client that DOES require me to use a typewriter still! I don't mind as I type very well and very fast but it is a different feeling than using a computer. And no, I don't think it is strange. There are a lot of "old school" type people who would rather have you type something than use the computer. Maybe they just don't understand the whole computer thing but I would definitely offer the service if you can do it!

uniquely40

My firm was started as a Typing firm when I opened my doors for business. During the years I have incorporated the VA skills.

I started typing at the age of 14 on a manual typewriter. I loved it because I also played the piano and it amazed me how the human brain could remember where the keys were. My type speed was about 90 wpm on a manual, could you believe that, and with no errors. When I did make errors it was the letters being raised above the typing line. In saying this, I am the worst texter in history, keys are to small and some phone don't have a keyboard, waste of my time.

I still use typing in my business either by typing a letter for a client, typing notes or send email and IM'ng someone. I accomplish more task because I am a typist using my computer, I still have a manual and electric typewriter and a word processor. The pre computer tools.:thumbsup: