What's on your home office wish list?

Allie11

Re: What is on your home office wish list?

I am loving the idea of the treadmill desk. I am definitely adding that to my wish list of items to purchase as I hit my financial goals. My wish list includes a new computer eventually and a high-quality scanner.

Tess

Administrator
Staff member

Right now the only thing on my wish list is a new MacBook Air - love my MacBook Pro but it feels so clunky compared to the streamlined, much lighter Air.
I'll use this Pro (my second) until it dies, but as soon as that happens I'm getting the latest-model Air and never looking back! :)

For me it would be a new L shaped desk or a U shaped desk with a new chair too. With lots of space and 2 different filing cabinets (one for work and one for home items - bills, paperwork, insurance things). I also want a dual monitor system that way I can work on multitasking.

Some other things I would need is a new laptop one that had a cd rom in it, so when I purchase software that require install by disk I am able to do so. Also, a high end printer. (I also design resumes and do some photo work.) It has to have faxing capability as well. And since we are going all out - I want it to be wireless.

creatassistsjs

The main things on my wish list are a new iMac (right now I operate off of my personal laptop and I want to keep my personal and professional lives separate), a new chair for my desk, as well as a new external hard drive.

I am still new in the business, and have high hopes for what is to come.

lilwifey

Hi everyone,

My office wish is for a bigger office. At this point we live in a mobile home (trailer) and it is not a lot of space. At this point my office is our walk in closet, which seems to be getting to small for me, I think anyway.

I started out using this when I first started working from home in 2010. I feel I either need a bigger home, and we do, or a bigger closet.

lilwifey

Hi Tess,

That is what I am wishing for as well, even if I can find a really nice used one, I will be happy. If you find a place that sell refurbished or used ones, can you please inform me.

Tricia

Administrator
Staff member
For me it would be a new L shaped desk or a U shaped desk with a new chair too. With lots of space and 2 different filing cabinets (one for work and one for home items - bills, paperwork, insurance things). I also want a dual monitor system that way I can work on multitasking.
I could not find a L shape desk that I loved so I finally convinced my Hubby to build me the perfect desk. It actually started out much smaller but as my business has grown my desk space had to grow also.

lilwifey

That sound like a vision of a beautiful office. I know if you have everything in its place you will probably be more productive. I would like to acquire a MAC computer but that I can not afford at this time. If we work hard enough, everything we want will eventually come to us.

Tricia

Administrator
Staff member
Lowanna,

I could not agree with you more, hard work always pays off.

I do find that sometimes a larger desk is not as wonderful as I thought it would be. It often times become a catch all and then takes me a half day to get back to a nice clean productive work area.

I have ordered a desk and a chair to turn the little cosy attic into my office. Currently working on the kitchen table but hopefully, I'll be able to have the furniture by next week.

Tricia

Administrator
Staff member
The kitchen table was my office for years. Even know I have a designated space but it is still not a space that is the office space but just does not have actual doors.

Anna, excited to see what you turn your cozy little attic into.

Hey Tricia, thank you! :) I strongly feel that us, VA's, need to have an "office space" be it a separate room or a smart corner in the living room. I've seen antique wardrobes being transformed into awesome, comfortable working stations that also provide privacy (when wardrobe leaves/doors close - VA stays out of the wardrobe hehe) so I'd definitely stick to this plan if I hadn't had that spare room. I'll update you with pics once I set everything up :)

KevynS

I'm just getting started with my business. On my list are a couple of certifications that I want to get that will allow me to do all the different things that I am planning to offer for services. And then I need some supplies, stationery, business cards, and a better printer. I currently have my business phone line forwarded to my cell phone so I don't miss anything, but once I have a better landline phone I will have my cell for personal use, and the business line separate.

Tricia

Administrator
Staff member
Kevyns,

Sounds like you are on a great path to getting your VA business going. I can't wait to hear more about it once you have it all set up.

What sort of things are you looking to have in your office?

Do you have a designated office space set aside?

KevynS

I am working on everything. I have a nice desk and chair, file system is all set, really don't need a ton of tech because I have everything except an efficient printer and a good phone (both of those I should have in the next week or so). Now I'm working on setting up website and figuring out my billing and contracts.

Pardon me for this wild topic. But since this is open talk... Also, I'm sure a lot of us sit in front of the computer doing photo touch up or something else for long hours every day and I've suffered long enough for a 4-year generic chair that used to be ok till one year ago Best Office Chair For Hemorrhoids.

Any leads? A friend recommends "Freedom Chair" from Humanscale. But I wonder if there're alternatives or better ones, especially from ones who can vouch from their personal experience.

Devesh

Devesh

Devesh