When did you quit your day job and start working from home?

LSpears

Just curious. When was it safe for you all who work as a VA full time, to let loose of your day job?

Eternal VA

Re: When did you quit your day job

Hi

I haven't been able to ...yet! I'm hoping that by the end of July I will have sufficient work to hand in my notice in my day job. If it comes quicker than that...all well and good, but that's the timeframe I'm realistically looking at.

I'd love to know how quickly or otherwise other VAs have managed to move to full time.

I can tell you it's never safe but sometimes the ocassion arises and it just feels like the right time to jump ship. Not long ago a VA on the forum wrote that she was made redundant from her day job so she decided to take the plunge and go full-time. I don't know, each person has to evaluate their own situation and decide whether it is right or not but if you think long and hard about it you can always find reasons why to play it safe and not forge ahead with your own business.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader

It was not safe for me but I made the decision when we moved the first time. Since I was moving to a rural area where I would have quite a commute to get a job that took advantage of my skillset I thought better now than never. I did go from part-time to full-time quickly however I was working around the clock to make it happen and I have my husbands income and benefits to fall back on.

Paulette

I didnt. I was thankfully let go from my fulltime job so I used that as an opportunity to launch my own business. I'm still trying to build my business and find clients though.

SocialCandy

It took about 9 months. I was working full-time, my husband was newly unemployed and I was stressed trying to do it all.

I sat down and wrote out the reasons why I should quit my job and the reasons why my own business wouldn't work if I didn't quit my job.

I took the leap and not having that regular paycheck forced me to take my part time business full-time - fast.

Office Goddess

I've been running Goddess for nearly 5 years. The 9-5 that I've worked for the last 7 is about to go out of business so I'm being given a "push." :D

hbplifestyle

Unfortunatly I haven't yet but I keep telling myself things happen for a reason. Sometimes a little push out the door may be helpful. I started a survey on this forum because I was curious how many VA's are full-time.

KathyCrofoot.com

When did I quit my 'day job' and work for myself full time? March 17, 2006. How did I get there? Hard work.

I was employed full time at a company that was a 90 mile drive from my home (each way before gas was $3.50/gallon!). I spent 3 hrs a day during the spring summer and early fall (winters in Wisconsin are such that I rented a room M-F and went home on weekends, internet provided). An email landed in my inbox about a company looking for call-center operators and I pounced. I started working with them on Jan 2 2006, nights and weekends, and I worked as many hours as I could. I decided I liked this gig and started thinking and planning.

It's really hard to give up the known paycheck for the unknown. I won't say it's always been sunshine and roses, because it's not. Deadlines and emergencies, family dramas and internet interruptions take their toll.

I planned, budgeted, scrimped and saved every nickle I could. My plan was to save 3 months living expenses in the bank before I quit the steady paycheck. My husband has a steady job and benefits, so it was easier than some VAs have it. Every week, I'd see the 'pot' growing, knowing I was closer to my goal. I was able to turn in my notice 3 months after I started my business, and picked up new clients along the way. Now I have a thriving bookkeeping practice that keeps me on my toes.

There's ups and downs every day. I love what I do. I somewhat miss the human face to face interraction (cats don't count!). I think everyone's comfort level is different. I was fortunate to have a place to start, a some help in the beginning, so I wasn't totally on my own like I am now.

Make a plan, visualize the outcome and make it come true.

RobnT08

I never really had a day job, but my VA business isn't self-supporting yet. I blog (yes for money) and have a network marketing business as well. Call me a small time serial entrepreneur! ;-)

I was lucky, I took voluntary redundancy back in July (2011) and was paid a year's salary... it gave me the opportunity to start off slowly, it's only now over 6 months later that I am starting to earn enough money so I don't rely on my savings so much.

KRLLC

I started off working for Arise.com as a virtual assistant back in 2005. I had just found out I was pregnant with my daughter, needed a job and had a high risk pregnancy so I couldn't leave the house to work. That's when I realized that I always wanted to be a virtual assistant in some shape or form. I really enjoyed working at home, helping customers and so on... When I got my first Virtual Assistant contract job, it was even better! I was able to help clients with my skills and was able to build new relationships.

So really, I had no choice about quitting my day job!

Williams

I learned years ago, without risk, there is no gain...and the more risk, the more gain...but so important is to GIVE BACK! Giving away what we have, brings in more for us to give.

I quit my job as an executive assistant to an entrepreneur who owned two highly successful 8,300 sq. ft. restaurants one year ago tomorrow!!! Yeah for me, huh?

I was working 3 days of the week from my home and 2 days at the restaurant's office when I had a conversation with my boss stating it was not an easy task starting up my own VA business from home and continuing to work for him full time. We (my boss and I) knew it was time for me to move on, put on my wings, and fly away! I continue to do updates to his company's website, which is my main VA business, and am enjoying my simple life with husband and doggie. (Yep, no kids which makes this much easier on the pocketbook.)

I am happier, able to spend more time with my work-at-home husband and doggie, and we live a very simple life! We pay our bills on time, including our mortgage payment, eat a lot of veggie tacos, homemade soups, whole wheat pastas, and oatmeal, do not go out to eat any longer, and I believe we are healthier. Our Doberman/German Shepard keeps us MOVING!

Guess I wanted to talk about ME a little bit since it will be ONE FULL YEAR of my business tomorrow.

Still smiling over here even if the weather is a little cold today--32 degrees.

SuzannaK

My goal is to be able to work full time. How long this takes can depend on the clients you get. You might quickly get cleints that might lead you to full time work. It depens on where you look and what you find.

Eternal VA

Terri

Happy birthday for your VA business for tomorrow.

I have to say your lifestyle sounds wonderful and you come across so happy in your post about it.

pinkchilli

I quit mine at the end of December 2012. I was made redundant due to relocation so it was either start the VA business early or add on 100 miles a day with not extra pay.

LSpears

I also live in Wisconsin :) The weather here has been pretty weird this year.

I learned years ago, without risk, there is no gain...and the more risk, the more gain...but so important is to GIVE BACK! Giving away what we have, brings in more for us to give.

I quit my job as an executive assistant to an entrepreneur who owned two highly successful 8,300 sq. ft. restaurants one year ago tomorrow!!! Yeah for me, huh?

I was working 3 days of the week from my home and 2 days at the restaurant's office when I had a conversation with my boss stating it was not an easy task starting up my own VA business from home and continuing to work for him full time. We (my boss and I) knew it was time for me to move on, put on my wings, and fly away! I continue to do updates to his company's website, which is my main VA business, and am enjoying my simple life with husband and doggie. (Yep, no kids which makes this much easier on the pocketbook.)

I am happier, able to spend more time with my work-at-home husband and doggie, and we live a very simple life! We pay our bills on time, including our mortgage payment, eat a lot of veggie tacos, homemade soups, whole wheat pastas, and oatmeal, do not go out to eat any longer, and I believe we are healthier. Our Doberman/German Shepard keeps us MOVING!

Guess I wanted to talk about ME a little bit since it will be ONE FULL YEAR of my business tomorrow.

Still smiling over here even if the weather is a little cold today--32 degrees.

LSpears

I am really learning a lot from you all. Thanks for all the info.

Williams

Terri

Happy birthday for your VA business for tomorrow.

I have to say your lifestyle sounds wonderful and you come across so happy in your post about it.

Thanks, Tracy! I look back and can't even believe it has been a year. I do learn a lot from this forum, and I have received 3 clients from staying active on this forum. Hats off to Tess and her support team. ;)