Question When do I send W9s?

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hello,

Should I send W9s when a client first starts with me or at the end of the year?
I usually send them at the end of the year but someone mentioned otherwise and I wanted to check here.

I'm a sole proprietor.

Thanks,

Janine

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Janine,

I send the W-9 as part of my welcome package along with a note that I would appreciate a 1099 from all clients regardless of the threshold. Even though I keep great financial records, it makes it easier in the end when filing taxes.

It is up to you of when you send them but sending earlier will help your client to be prepared for their end of year season as well.

debw241

I second the WELCOME PACKAGE -- and I stress the 1099 as well since I am an Independent Contractor rather than their employee. Good Luck!

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Thank you, Lee. I'll make the W9 part of my welcome package.

The client just needs the W9 'officially' from me by the end of the year, December 31st? Is that so? That is the date I normally send these. (I understand that these can be sent earlier, as you mentioned but is the end of the year the required date, if there is one?)

Janine

Tomekia Lloyd

Hi Janine,

From my experience (bookkeeper), most professional companies request a W-9 from you immediately or within a few days of the commencement of your service contract. As a matter of fact, as their bookkeeper I wouldn't pay a vendor/contractor until you've submitted the required signed W-9 form.

I think that sending one completely filled out to them immediately says a lot, especially if you typically deal with smaller businesses. It kinds of gives off the "professional" and "get-down-to-business" vibe.

I would make them apart of your welcome package, BUT ONLY IF YOUR W-9 HAS A TAX ID AND NOT A SS#.

If you are a sole proprietor with no Tax ID, I would wait until I've fully screened the client and have CASHED at least one check before I provide a W-9 with my social on it.

Hopes this helps someone.

Your Virtual Wizard

Community Leader
Hi Tomekia,

Thank you for the explanation. I have an EIN and this is what I include on my W9.

I have a new client who has asked me for the W9 and typically I give this at the end of the year. I've never been asked for one before by a client since it seemed OK for me to send them at the end of the year. So I was going to say, "I send them out at the end of the year" but then I thought I'd check to see what was the proper distribution of W9s.

Great info, Thank You!

Janine

debw241

I like the comment re not giving them the W-9 with your SSN (which is what I use) until they have been screened/received at least one payment.

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
I totally agree with the EIN comments. This should be one of the first items that you get for you business. It is simple, go to IRS.gov, free and will save you in the long run. I never, let me reiterate NEVER, give out my SSN. Having an EIN gives you a professional presence.

Being a bookkeeper, I provide this information as soon as the contract as signed. Comes from years of having to chase them down from people.

Avail Virtual

My accountant suggested that I just use my SS# since I'll use that to file my taxes for my LLC. But I also like the idea of have an EIN for a professional presence and so I don't have to give out my SS#. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

LeeDrozak

Community Leader
Avail,

The purpose of the EIN is so that you do not have to give out your SSN. I am surprised that your accountant did not tell you this. You can sign up on line and it is at no cost to you. Makes everything safe and secure.

pjerb

I don't give out my SS# either. Use the EIN# for everything. Any accountant/bookkeeper who tells you to use your SS# isn't looking out for you. In this age of identity theft, you should always protect yourself. I would advise my clients to get one ASPA. Oh- and I would send the W9 as soon as the contract is signed. More professional, especially for a bookkeeper!

yourvagirl

This coversation help me out alot.. I was alos told i didnt need an EIN #. But after reading all htese suggestion it help me understand an EIN woul dbe better then giving out my SS# ..Thank you