Working from home while still working full-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tildavirtual

Re: Building a VA practice while still working full-time

I only intended to be a part time VA and look where that ended up. If you have a will there is a way. Plan out your time, use it well and don't expect too much of yourself.

shelsky

I am in the same situation of almost everyone here working a fulltime and trying to do this part-time. I have one client and had to turn down my first potential client yesterday. Very depressing for me because she would probably have been my best client but she wanted more of a "Personal assistant" someone to do errands and travel with her, I was just not confident enough to just give up my full time job and work for her at the drop of a dime. I'm a single parent with a son in college and I NEED my insurance. But I had to tell her upfront that I had a 9-5 and that it just wouldn't work..:mad2:

Oh well you win some you lose some....

LeslieStarnes

Reading all of your comments sure has put my mind at ease a. I feel a lot more comfortable about working full time and starting this business on the side now. I sure do appreciate all of your input.

c-spryte

I have a question for veteran VAs as well as newbies. I am currently building my practice while still holding down a full-time job. How did you manage to juggle the two? Suppose you have a client that needs support during working hours. Did you do work for these clients while at work? Or did you inform your prospective clients that you would only be available to do work for them in the evenings? Not sure what I should tell prospective clients when speaking to them for the first time.

Looking forward to your input.
Hi there,

It was a juggling act for me at first, and I only took on jobs that I could do in the evenings and weekends. Then I transitioned to part-time from full-time while building my client list. Then when the client list got big enough to sustain a VA practice, I left my job and concentrated on my business.

Thank you - this is great to read all your posts.

I don't work full time but I currently support an entrepreneur on-site 2 days per week and the hours are so flexible. While I'm there, I have the capability to check email and voice mail. In the future, I hope to support him virtually.

It's nice to see that a lot of you are maintaining a va practice while working other jobs... It's encouraging to see that there are clients out there who are flexible with your time and it can be done!!

Lori
Aspiring VA

SandyKelly

Great post. I work full time and do my VA business at night. My hunny to be works the night shift, so after he leaves to work, I have to house to myself to work if i don't pass out from working 10+ hours at my FT job)! I advise my clients should they ask about my hours when I will be working. My last client was in Europe. So, by the time I started working on his stuff, he'd been sleeping for an hour or two already! It really all depends on your clients needs, and if you are able to meet those needs. Do what you can, and dont take on more than you can handle!

Good luck!

Sandy

TaylorR

Thank you for the words of wisdom from those who have successfully built their VA/Freelance careers while working FT jobs for other people. I am still working days as an HR Manager and then providing writing services in the evenings and weekends. Now it's at the point where I have enough projects and work to cover half of my FT salary so I am seeking a PT outside the home job to scale back my hours. With my husband's support and a little extra savings tucked away, by 2009 I should be working for myself! It's scary and exciting at the same time.

Leanna Kalka

I would suggest that you not give customers specific hours, just tell them the time frame to expect their work will be done in and as long as it is mutually agreeable, it shouldn't make a difference to the customer what time of day the work is being done (unless you are answering phones or telemarketing for them).

Just my own thoughts.

sos-va

I'm brand new at this and working full time as well. I plan to set hours for my VA business (evenings) and let clients know up front.

NewYorkVA

My clients have NO IDEA that I work a 9-5!! I don't answer my phone during the day (my default ring is 30-seconds of silence, I have custom rings for the hubby and my 9-5) and I explain to my clients/potential clients that 1) answering the phone is really distracting, it can take up to 10 minutes to get 'back in the groove' of what I was working on when I answered the phone, and that it might have been THEIR project I was in the middle of... 2) I prefer email as it guarantees that discussions/instructions/questions are clearly understood by both parties.

I return phone calls/emails during breaks (morning/lunch/afternoon) and before/after my 9-5; I often return calls from the parking lot of work at 4:30pm. :D

I work on projects outside of JOB hours, but my clients don't need to know this!

Feel free to pm me if you would like info on the 'silent' ring tone.
That's great! I work full-time in HR so I am doing this part-time. I think that you have a great system set up.

egrace62

Thank you all for the great in site, as I set out to accomplish what appears to be attainable. You have all given me inspiration and hope to be as successful!

Erin

yourbriefcasedi

Ladies,

Thank you for the information in reference to working full time while building up your business.

While you are establishing yourselves, are you an LLC or just a sole proprietor in your business.

Office Goddess

I set up my llc from the beginning - "begin as you intend to go on" is the best advice my grandmother ever gave me ('course she was talking about a relationship w/a boyfriend :D)

MRehfeld

Great thread! You are all so inspiring and every day I come on here I find tons and tons of info.

~Mariella

GladysS

Many thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. It is reassuring to know that others work full time while building a successful VA business!!

While I know that I'll only be doing my VA business evenings and weekends, I think I'm only going to tell my clients that I'll have the project back to them by a certain time. If that doesn't work for them, then I 'm not the right VA for their business.

That's great! I work full-time in HR so I am doing this part-time. I think that you have a great system set up.

To add to this.. I've started sharing with local prospects that I am not available to meet for lunch or other times during today because (and its true), I reserve normal business hours for tending to my clients needs. I hold all face to face meetings after 5:30p.

Office Goddess

To add to this.. I've started sharing with local prospects that I am not available to meet for lunch or other times during today because (and its true), I reserve normal business hours for tending to my clients needs. I hold all face to face meetings after 5:30p.
Brilliant! I have a flex schedule so either meet potential clients between 7:30am - 9:00am or after 4:30pm. I'm going to use your 'I reserve normal business hours..." as my excuse, as well. Ah, plagiarism. :D

BizSupportMuse

Thank you all so much for posting so much information on this topic. I am a new member (just signed up yesterday) and I plan to continue my full time job as long as I can. I'm not new to the VA industry, but I felt really new when I saw how far things have come since I initially started my VA practice back in 1999. I had a feeling that it was going to be a HUGE challenge to keep my fulltime job and still be able to put in the time to get my VA business back up and running the right way. But after reading your responses, I am confident that things will work out just fine! I'm ready for the challenge! :smart: thanks again!!

Thank you to everyone who has shared there experiences on this topic. I too was wondering how I was going to manage a full time job with a part time VA business. I can't leave my full-time job until I know my VA business can cover all my current bills.

Lily, as always, you are awesome and very helpful.

Best of luck to all the newbies!

mwanje1103

I am on a full time job too. I intend to let go this job once my va picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.