Your thoughts please...

joannatubbs

Hi everyone
I'm pretty new to the transcription world and I've been working with a transcription company for a few months now and have come across a few things that I'm not sure about. The client uploaded the wrong files to them and I dutifully typed them up and had finished when the call came through to stop as they were not the correct files. I had done my side of things but as the client wasn't going to pay them they didn't pay me. That wasn't a particularly large file so I let it go this time. A few times now I've had files that were say 60 minutes long but the recording was either so bad that I couldn't hear anything for the last 20 minutes or they just didn't have anything recorded at the end of the audio and I've only been paid for the amount of actual transcription and not the whole audio even though I've listened right through to the end ie used my time. Is this something anyone else has come across? Is this normal or am I maybe letting them get away with this. They are a relatively new company themselves so maybe this is just the way that work. I would really appreciate any thoughts as this is now beginning to get to be a pattern. Best wishes, Jo

bridiej

To be honest I would pull the plug. Never in all the time that I've worked with transcription agencies (8 years now) have I heard of such shonky goings on.

If they sent the wrong files you should get paid, end of. How are you to know they are incorrect?

Google for alternatives, there are loads of companies out there that outsource work to transcribers.

joannatubbs

Thanks Bridie. I had a feeling that's what people would say. I won't pull the plug for the moment as they are the only company I'm working for but I'm definitely going to start looking for something else.

bridiej

Start looking today, like I said there are loads of transcription companies out there

Good luck :)

debw241

It would have been easier if when beginning work with the Transcription Company there had been a contract or agreement setting forth what would happen under these circumstances (after all, none of these would be considered unheard of)

Actually, if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt as they are new and your only client -- take the lead. Email them or note it on their statement that you charge _____/audio minute (or however you charge). You noted they had a problem with the wrong file previously. You did not charge them as you extended a one-time professional courtesy, but from now on ALL work will be charged at _____/audio minute. I do sympathize it was the client not the transcription company's error...

ALSO note that each audio minute is charged -- whether there is anything on it or not.

I would also note that any transcription that is difficult to understand i.e. accent, bad recording etc is charged at a higher rate. (you may want to contact them to notify them of such recording prior to transcription) I use email so I have a written record. I often call and leave msg that I have emailed them -- or if I end up talking with them, I follow up with an email summarizing our conversation i.e. per our conversation this a.m....

joannatubbs

Thanks for all you responses. Just to clarify I do have a contract with the company but it doesn't mention any of this. I guess I'm going to be looking for someone else to work with..... thanks again.

The Perfect Word

Community Leader
I've never worked for a transcription company, just on my own. I did have a situation just last week...my contact at one of my clients uses my company and another one for backup. She was getting ready to go on vacation and she sent me a file to transcribe after her assistant had sent the same file to the other person (which my contact obviously didn't know). Since they couldn't bill the same claim file twice for the transcript, she paid me out of her own pocket. I hated for her to do that, so since it wasn't a large amount, I offered to pay her half of it back. She wouldn't hear of it, said I did the work and should be paid.

If you do the work, you should get paid, even if it's they sent you the wrong file.

Jo, definitely leave this company. I have worked with two transcription companies -- one I am still with. They are a great company. The other -- NIGHTMARE. It became very apparent to me after a few weeks working with them that their style of working didn't come close to mine. I know it's hard to leave any company. There's always a sort of attachment, however small. But this company that you're referring to just screams out, "RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK." Signing up with transcription companies is a great way to supplement your virtual business. So don't give up on all of them. There are great ones out there.

joannatubbs

I have looked for another company but am finding it hard to even get a response from them. I guess that there is a lot of competition out there however good you are! If anyone has any suggestions of companies that may be looking for transcribers I would really appreciate it. I mainly look at UK companies as this is my first language.

Again, thanks to everyone for your feedback and I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone on the forum a very MERRY CHRISTMAS... :happydance:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the rate for transcription is for working for these companies. The last time I checked them out I remember it being very low. I want to say that it came somewhere around $8 an hour so.

The other thing is that some of you have mentioned some really good companies. Could you please let us know which companies these are or maybe recommend a few.

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!

bridiej

Depends, the ones I work for are 80p per minute, but depending on the sort of work it can start from 60p per minute.

Do a google search as there are plenty of companies, too many to list. I did this recently, emailed a few and work for three now which is a great supplement!

ecullum

Thanks for the advice. Transcription is one of my big areas that I would like to start working in and I need to know things to look out for.
This is great. Thanks!

Erikka

I believe that can mean either two things. It can either mean per audio minute or per audio byte. Some transcription companies will pay you per audio byte, which ends up being less for you. My advice is to really "shop" around if you are looking to contract with a transcription company. Some are great (those that understand the time it takes to deliver a great transcript) and those that are competing with other countries (which is understandable for the company -- but ends up being a bad deal for you). So stick with what fits your wants and needs. After a lot of "bad" experiences, I contract with only one company right now, and that's because they pay a fixed charge according to how long it takes to transcribe the audio. To me, this is the most realistic way of contracting with a company. However, I don't apply the same way of billing for my own clients. When it comes to my own clients, I charge per audio minute. Bottom line is that transcription is a great skill. It all depends on what a company or client is looking for. If it's a quality transcript they're looking for, they will pay accordingly. Good luck, and I hope that my rambling on made some sense. I'm just extremely passionate about the whole transcribing fee topic! :yikes: